SOTU 469 Friends and Neighbours

thank you for this week Val.
an original song for the season i just wrote + played.

And good morning from deepest France! Very many thanks to Del, Jim, Andy and Jon, whose contributions came in "overnight." I will update the Playlist after breakfast. (It's very COLD here this morning and the Internet is a bit frozen.) I am looking forward to LOADS more songs today!

on Sunday i put up a 'friends' song by Lennon/McCartney, today i'll put up a 'neighbours' song by, in my opinion, an even better British songwriter, Ray Davies

Hi Val! Maybe stretching the theme somewhat but here's an original about cronyism that came to me this afternoon.

This is a bang up to date topical song, written in 1953 by Tom Lehrer, about being nice and sharing things with you friends.

No one's done this yet? Guess I have to break the seal. Speaking of broken, man, Garth Brooks can shred some vocal chords ...

Robert Johnson's "When You Got A Good Friend". Soprano Uke.

SOTU 469 - "TO FIND A FRIEND," by Tom Petty (1994) was featured on the great "Wildflowers" album. Kevin is playing steel string baritone. I played my Kanile'a super tenor. This one was really fun to sing.

Well, thank you all for today's splendid contributions! The time has come to retire from public life here, so I will bid you goodnight and bring yet another "neighbour" cartoon (I KNOW you really want one! Actually, why is it so much more difficult to find "friend" cartoons?) ...

Birkett-Cartoons-Punch-1982-11-10-767.jpg

our neighbours in the stars - might be a bit far to go to borrow some sugar, but could be worth the trip to ask if they've got a spare planet or two about the place, 'cos we've utterly mucked ours up and we need a new one...

I always like to think I'm doing my neighbours a favour by waking them at 5am so they're never late for work ......In fact I really ought to charge them for my ukulele alarm service .......

And Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening yet again from Southwest France where it is grey and wet ... which makes a change from cold and snowy, I suppose. Very many thanks to Lynda and Mark, who came in since I last visited; Lynda, having given up on her neighbours here and heading off to outer space and Mark, who might be one of the neighbours she is getting away from, if he insists on waking people at five in the morning! The Playlist is up-to-date ... please let me know if I have inadvertently omitted to add you. Meanwhile, my dear friends, please keep those songs rolling in ...

Ahoy.
I thought this old indie-song from Beck fits the theme perfectly. In the beginning of the Beck recording you can hear snippets of his neighbours argue, then Beck wrote this little ditty.

I thought I was done for this week, but then I heard this song yesterday and the chorus made me think it would be good for this week's theme. Also it's cold outside and it's not like there's anywhere we can go anyway...

Everyone's your friend in New York City! At least according to this song. I've visited a couple of times, and my experience has been, well, a little different. But I prefer the song's message to reality, so let's go with that.

It's sung from the perspective of a visitor, so I hope I can get away with singing in a British accent :).

I recently got back in touch with an old friend I hadn't seen for ages. So this week's Season Theme inspired me to write this song for him and then do a video conference with him.

Note: The song came first and the prediction I make in it about the "long white beard" was fulfilled. Much to our amusement. (The photo of him is from 2004)

It's just a love song to an old friend.. who I miss and bloody Covid currently stops us reuniting in person.

I hope you enjoy:

PS I forgot to mention in the credits that the solo is played on a Hartwood Revival (from Gear4Music dot com). Anyone here in search of a classic semi-acoustic jazz/blues guitar should look no further - amazing price for such quality.

20210210_143026 (1).jpg

Our nearest neighbours, just down the hill ... a splendid couple, although I should imagine the chap could be a bit of a handful!

It's getting on for 11.30 p.m. here, so I shall sign off for the night (besides, there is some sort of trial (???) on television, which is quite riveting viewing!)

Thank you all who have contributed today and I look forward to some more songs awaiting me in the morning. Goodnight!

Last edited:
Thanks to Val, whose last offering reminded me that friends also come in the canine variety. I haven't owned a dog for a few decades, but Maggie and I have done a lot of dog-sitting.

Maggie & Farley.jpg Here's Maggie and Farley (RIP).

Dog1.jpg Jim and Django (RIP)

This song doesn't have a tune. It's kinda a talking blues called DOG. It's by the late Tom Dundee, who died in a motorcycle accident in 2006 at the tender age of 59.

Top Bottom