SOTU 469 Friends and Neighbours

LimousinLil

Reaction score
Greetings, my fellow Seasonistas!

A very good evening (or whatever time it is chez-vous) and welcome to Season 469! I welcome you to a week of "Friends and Neighbours" ... good and bad. Please watch the introductory video, which is EXCEEDINGLY short. (The accompanying film chronicles the hazards of apartment living at the turn of the 20th Century ... as Paul Simon so aptly put it, "one man's floor is another man's ceiling.")

Please come and be numerous (as they quaintly say here in France) ... you KNOW you have nothing else to do next week!

Meanwhile, do not forget that Jim's amazingly obscure week still has well over a day to run.

I will put up the Playlist once the contributions start to come in.

Thank You and Good Night!

PLAYLIST: [video]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHFDjTj2zZYxIdEX-D-0BhU9FilO28G11[/video]

Last edited:
And we are away ... with a reliably early song from Charley; thank you! (Just as well you posted, because I was under the impression that there was still an hour to go!)

As for YOU, Lynda and Jon, you obviously fall under the category of "neighbours from hell" ... I shall report you to the Management at once! (Er, on the other hand, I'm just on the floor below you Lynda ... is there any chance I might join in, too???)

Last edited:
Thank you Val for sacrificing those valuable French Gigabytes again. Here's an original blues tune about blues men in the neighbourhood. Some will recognise the odd reference to people and songs.

If Lightnin’ was your neighbour
Would you let him play all night
Bang on his J-50 till kites were at their height
And when its time for leaving he’d sing
“baby please don’t go” And you’d stay
A little longer, not to hurt him so.

If Albert lived in Number 3
Would you make the time to call
If it wasn’t for bad luck
He’d have no luck at all
He was born under a bad sign,
Black cats know his name
Take him some of your key lime pie
And see if his luck might change

Sonny Boy and Little Walter
Live across the road
See them reaching for their harps
As the rooster crows
They’re bending notes, they’re bending time
They’ll shake your window pane
And just when you think you’re on the level
They’ll blow you down again.

Seems like all your neighbours got the blues

Willie Johnson’s on the street
Revelations on his chest
Invite him in for coffee
Let that man confess
Dark was his night
And cold was his ground
Cried his lamp was trimmed
But it’s burning down

I don't know about anyone else, but my first question on seeing a theme is generally "Is there a Tom Waits song that fits?".

This is a Tom Waits song about a neighbourhood and the people who live in it, so I suppose that makes them neighbours (or, in his case, neighbors). On tenor ukulele. I didn't have a brass band handy, like the original, so I added a baritone uke instead.

It's a lot quieter than this where I live. In fact, the only disturbance anyone really mentions is a strange sound of a moaning man and a weird plinky noise. I've never heard it myself, though. I'm probably just too engrossed in playing my uke.

Ahoy there.
I have often played this on the guitar but never on the uke, until today. The tuning is (low)G-C-F-A#
A song about friends

I don't know about anyone else, but my first question on seeing a theme is generally "Is there a Tom Waits song that fits?".

This is a Tom Waits song about a neighbourhood and the people who live in it, so I suppose that makes them neighbours (or, in his case, neighbors). On tenor ukulele. I didn't have a brass band handy, like the original, so I added a baritone uke instead.

It's a lot quieter than this where I live. In fact, the only disturbance anyone really mentions is a strange sound of a moaning man and a weird plinky noise. I've never heard it myself, though. I'm probably just too engrossed in playing my uke.

I though of Tom Waits "What's he building in there" when hearing the neighbour theme. But I doubt any cover can capture the essence of that song.

An old classic about how fickle friends can be. Or, as a wise man once old me, "a friend in need is a pest"

What a funny theme! I feel immediately inspired to take a full matching and amusing song from Roland Prakken, a german uke teacher and entertainer.
BTW: We don't move ... only updating rooms

Cheers for hosting this one Val. A quick bash at You've Got A friend In Me .............

Hi Val! Was just speaking to Alan Thornton, who can’t remember the rule. Could you refresh his memory...and mine? Thank you!
Liz

Hi, Liz ... I haven't got a precise definition of said "rule." I have always assumed that it means you are rather pushing the boundaries with your song choice, but feel that it is worthy of inclusion. That is what I intended when I mentioned it. Perhaps one of the "old stagers" could enlighten you further.

Hi Val! Was just speaking to Alan Thornton, who can’t remember the rule. Could you refresh his memory...and mine? Thank you!
Liz

From memory I think you can bend the rule as far as you can possibly bend it but don't break It . I.e If you can get the song to have even remotest connection to the season topic somehow then you can apply Thornton Rule .

I grabbed the chords of the first song that came into my head that contained the word "Friends". This is the first time I have played it all the way through. And before I noticed that it had already been done by Charley B. Sorry!

I would have recorded it again without the little mistake at the end but doesn't that sum up what friendship is all about?
(there is a swearword at the end)

Last edited:
Top Bottom