SOTU 469 Friends and Neighbours

As a member of the accused let me just say I could only dream of a beard that luscious. Red glasses are spot on though.
Ditto! The hat & glasses are quite close to what I actually wear.

My glasses collection is growing faster than my uke collection - not counting eye protection and cheap readers I think I have 7 pair of prescription lenses (2x progressive, 1x pure distance, 3x computer range, 1x shades). All except the dedicated shades are red or blue.

The beard is.... aspirational. Especially that late in the day when the real thing was much more birds nesty :) Apple only has so many options to choose from!

Next one I'll bring back a bunny head if not the puppet. Promise! :)

Again, time for bed (or, at least, more riveting trial time!) Very many thanks for today's contributions ... the weekend starts tomorrow, so please be numerous! (For the record, my reading glasses are purple and I have no beard ... but, if I did, I don't doubt that it would be a wonderful, luxuriant red!)

Side By Side - Harry Woods 1927

Played on an old S.S. Stewart tenor banjo tuned gCEA. I've tried many types of strings, many heads and many tunings on this banjo. I even added a tone ring. Right now it has a nylon 4th string and steel 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings.

In the 80s and 90s I tuned it CGDA and played Irish music on it. I had a Celtic design on a skin head at the time. It now has a mylar Fiberskin head for those who are suitably fanatical about these things.
Tenor banjo w fancy head.jpg

I hope someone does a version of It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood from the Mr. Rogers Show.

Or maybe Mr. Robinson's Neighbourhood (Remember Eddie Murphy as Mr. Robinson?)

It's a beautiful day in the neighbourhood, a beautiful day for a neighbour,
Would you be mine? Could you be mine?
I've always wanted to live in a house like your, My Friend.
Maybe when there's nobody home, I'll break in.
It feels real good to walk free again
After being in jail doing seven to ten
Won't you be mine? Won't you be mine?
I wish you was my neighbour.

Last edited:
"Mt New Friends" (1979) by Leonard Bernstein, from The Madwoman of Central Park West.

And good morning/afternoon/early evening from deepest France, where the sun is shining for the first time in days! Very many thanks to Jim, Lynda, Ylle and Mark for their contributions. Does anyone feel up to tackling Jim's suggestion of "It's A Beautiful Day In the Neighbourhood?" I don't know it or the shows mentioned, but it sounds ideal for this week's theme. It's the weekend ... you have SO much time on your hands; please bring some more testaments to your friends and neighbours (loved or loathed!)

A few slips here and there. Definitely meant to be played on the piano! I like songs that tell a story.

I hope someone does a version of It's A Beautiful Day In The Neighbourhood from the Mr. Rogers Show.
Recorded this one tonight, but had my new mic sitting on the computer, and the fan blew out the audio. Took me ages to figure out what happened. I'll try again in the morning!

Again, time for bed (or, at least, more riveting trial time!) Very many thanks for today's contributions ... the weekend starts tomorrow, so please be numerous! (For the record, my reading glasses are purple and I have no beard ... but, if I did, I don't doubt that it would be a wonderful, luxuriant red!)

Not to dredge this back up again but it seems one the arms on my glasses are going.... Do I go for a similar style or try out something else?

First time posting more than one video but I was playing through some old songs and found one that fit the theme.

Not to dredge this back up again but it seems one the arms on my glasses are going.... Do I go for a similar style or try out something else?

If the frame is still currently available you could probably just replace the *side, Ryan. Bit of free professional advice there for you sir! :)

* the 'arms' on a pair of glasses are officially known as 'sides' or 'temples' - but I've heard patients refer to them in many different ways: eg 'wings', 'legs' and my own personal favourite - 'flappers'! :D

Last edited:
If the frame is still currently available you could probably just replace the *side, Ryan. Bit of free professional advice there for you sir! :)

* the 'arms' on a pair of glasses are officially known as 'sides' or 'temples' - but I've heard patients refer to them in many different ways: eg 'wings', 'legs' and my own personal favourite - 'flappers'! :D

I would but this is already a replacement pair from about 6 months ago! Starting to think maybe my head's just too big.

First time posting more than one video but I was playing through some old songs and found one that fit the theme.[/QUOTE

This is lovely Lyndall and I have added it to the Playlist ... congrats on having two submissions! I wasn't able to leave a comment on YT though, as I did for your previous song. Is this one listed differently ... perhaps "made for children?"

I managed to get one done this week!

I realize that Arcy beat me to this song, but since I had allready printed the chords and started practicing a that point, I think it was too late for me to find a new song.

So here is another take on this Carole King song.
I must admit I am not surprised that someone managed to record it before me, almost expected it to be a theme song this week.

Top Bottom