SOTU 469 Friends and Neighbours

Well, it is getting on for midnight here in deepest France, so it is time to retire. We have had ten fine "friend and neighbour" related contributions today ... please keep them coming! I leave you with this little gem ...

u-g-PYSENX0.jpg

My Buddy by Gus Kahn & Walter Donaldson

My sister and I went down to Waddington's School Of Music and bought the sheet music for this song the weekend that my dad died. I sang it at home for him and when my cousin George died I sang it at his service. This is possibly the first time I've played it with a ukulele.

bwahahahaha. if i was your neighbour i'd give the footstomp signal and slip down w/ a uke and keep the jam rollin...
:rock:

As for YOU, Lynda and Jon, you obviously fall under the category of "neighbours from hell" ... I shall report you to the Management at once! (Er, on the other hand, I'm just on the floor below you Lynda ... is there any chance I might join in, too???)
the more the merrier! and please bring ALL your ukes! :music:

I leave you with this little gem ...

View attachment 132173
lol! i think i'm usually the other way round!!

View attachment 132174 Here's another little gem Val.
lol!!!!!!!

ok here is a tyrannosaurus rex song about being friends with a satyr... just a perfectly normal day in marc bolan land!

"the friends"

And good morning (or whatever) ... I am back and it has been snowing overnight, but not very much! Big thanks to Jim and Lynda for a couple of lovely "friend" songs ... and to Jim for the cartoon. Has anyone else got any good jokes ... we could do with some good cheer? I look forward to today's contributions ... come along now, you KNOW you want to!

Another oldie from me.Show novelty tune from Cole porter.usually performed by a duo but there s only one of me

inspired by the victoria wood dinner ladies episode where jean is reading the paper, having said she feels like packing her job in. i need something like cleaning, she says, light housework, housekeeping. she sees a promising job ad... here's one, light house-keeper wanted. bren reads the ad and answers... lighthouse. keeper.

And now for some sheer self-indulgence ... a host's prerogative! I lost a dear friend at the end of last year ... our beautiful rescue dog, Clemmie. We adopted her as a two-year old from a refuge here in France ... she had been found wandering with three puppies. She was a wonderful companion for eleven years, but, by the end of last year, she was struggling and had obviously lost all her previous exuberance and zest for life, and we, therefore, made the very difficult decision to have her put to sleep. I miss her enormously! (The film at the beginning comes from an attempt four years ago, in a previous dog-related Season, to get her to co-operate for a recording - she didn't!)

Last edited:
Okay, this is probably a bit of a stretch, but one thing we learn about the Urban Spaceman is that he never lets his friends down, so I'm sure he'd be a good friend to have, except that we learn at the end that he doesn't exist. Ah well.

This is really just because I wanted an excuse to use the kazoo and recorder I have lurking in my box of Noisy Things. I will invoke the Thornton Rule if necessary :).

Incidentally, I recently read that Neil Innes was inspired to write this by seeing "Urban Space" on a sign and thinking that, in that case, there must be "Urban Spacemen". So there's a neighbourhood link there too.

Right, I'm trying too hard to justify this now. Let's be honest, I just wanted to do this song...

Today I have all altogether too much fun playing with stock footage.

PRECIOUS FRIEND - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger at Homespun.jpg

Just when I thought
All was lost, you changed my mind.
You gave me hope (not just the old soft soap)
You showed that we could learn to share in time
(You and me and Rockefeller)
I'll keep pluggin' on,
Your face will shine through all our tears.
And when we sing another little victory song,
Precious Friend, you will be there.
Singing in harmony,
Precious Friend, you will be there.

Last edited:
My contribution is thankfully not currently applicable to my life, but I have lived in places with terrible neighbours.

Hope you rock out with me on:

When I was a kid my mum always warned me about hanging around with 'wrong 'uns' .......their mums also probably gave them the same advice ........birds of a feather flock together.

Well, it's 11.00 p.m. here, so time to go to bed. Thanks to everyone who contributed today ... it was lovely to see you all, and particularly lovely that Rob checked in. The Playlist is up-to-date but I hope there might be more songs awaiting me in the morning. I leave you with more neighbours from hell ....

a-couple-on-horseback-joe-dator.jpg

Sometimes we listen to good advice from our friends and sometimes we don’t. The best friendships survive in spite of, or maybe because of, the occasional disagreement. I’d choose honesty over diplomacy every time! Thanks for hosting again, Val! :)

This is a song by Ed's Redeeming Qualities, a band from about 30 years ago that was the first band I ever heard with a ukulele player that didn't play either Hawaiian music or Tin Pan Alley.

Top Bottom