Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Do Ukes and Fountain Pens Have in Common?

Default What Do Ukes and Fountain Pens Have in Common?

What do ukes and fountain pens have in common? I accumulate them.

I've been watching a lot of YouTube on TV lately, and I was surprised to see so many fountain pen channels. China is a major manufacturer of very good, inexpensive fountain pens. I mean like under $10, or under $5.00.

So far, I've accumulated thirty-three. I made two wooden racks to hold a dozen each, but last night I received a fountain pen storage box from Amazon. That has room for thirty-two pens, and I have racks to hold two dozen.

See my problem? I don't have enough pens! I have storage for fifty-six, but I have only thirty-three. The pressure is on!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Have you started looking at mini-lathes to turn your own yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
    Have you started looking at mini-lathes to turn your own yet?
    What? There are mini lathes? How many minis should I get?

I have a semi-serious collection of antique, vintage, and modern fountain pens. The last time I dared to count them, it was something north of 100! I also collect vintage safety razors and shaving brushes. Much like my ukuleles, they all get used...maybe not all at once, but I try to rotate the collections into use fairly regularly.
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    I have a semi-serious collection of antique, vintage, and modern fountain pens. The last time I dared to count them, it was something north of 100! I also collect vintage safety razors and shaving brushes. Much like my ukuleles, they all get used...maybe not all at once, but I try to rotate the collections into use fairly regularly.
    I forgot to mention that I also seem to collect junk. Looking around the house and the garage, I often ask myself, "Why in the world am I keeping this thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    I forgot to mention that I also seem to collect junk. Looking around the house and the garage, I often ask myself, "Why in the world am I keeping this thing?"
    It's a damned-good thing I don't have a big house or a garage!
    Larry

OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Same here.

Bluesy.

In the 90's, I use to bid on lots of cuff links and fountain pens. However, unlike Jerry I am not a collector; I am a user. So I only have a few fountain pens, but they are all I write with, and I have been doing that since I have been an adult. My bigger issue nowadays is ink. My whole life I have used S.T. Dupont black ink. It has become a little difficult to find and it is quite expensive. In the spirit of economizing during the pandemic, I have been using some incredibly cheap ink I got from amazon. It isn't the same as my Dupont, but it is serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Get in touch with Antique Archeology to sell some of the junk, maybe you'll get on their History Channel TV show "American Pickers."

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
    8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    In the 90's, I use to bid on lots of cuff links and fountain pens. However, unlike Jerry I am not a collector; I am a user. So I only have a few fountain pens, but they are all I write with, and I have been doing that since I have been an adult. My bigger issue nowadays is ink. My whole life I have used S.T. Dupont black ink. It has become a little difficult to find and it is quite expensive. In the spirit of economizing during the pandemic, I have been using some incredibly cheap ink I got from amazon. It isn't the same as my Dupont, but it is serviceable.
    If you can't find the Dupont Black ink, give Aurora Black a try. It's very well-behaved and highly regarded by "the experts". Not cheap, but probably less expensive than your Dupont.
    Larry

OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Thread Information