What Do Ukes and Fountain Pens Have in Common?

Jerry, you've hit on my collector weaknesses ukes and fountain pens, but for me I have to justify to myself where the next acquisition fits in my everyday enjoyment. For fountain pens, I'm up to a full double set--two pens for each color ink I'm using, one for home use and the other for the office. For ukes, it's about where they fit sonically in my collection.

For a more modern pen, but fantastic writer, I'd recommend looking at what TWSBI has to offer. I have an ECO and a Diamond580. Love them both!!

haha me too. I've been collecting and using ukuleles and fountain pens for over a decade now.
Hundreds have come and gone.

I've narrowed down to 2 fountain pens (Sailor 1911 with music nib, Pilot Grance with medium nib) and 2 ukuleles (Vox Hello Kitty soprano, Enya Feather tenor).

Bill1,

Can i entice you through the threshold and into the world of straight razors? Nothing is more biodegradable nor has a smaller carbon footprint than a Dovo razor. Anyway, your research on ink sounds interesting. I am going through an ink crisis myself. I have used some cheap inks and they are tolerably close in color but there's something missing in the texture--the viscosity (if that's the word I'm after)--the friction the ink mediates between the pen and the paper.

Jerry, you've hit on my collector weaknesses ukes and fountain pens, but for me I have to justify to myself where the next acquisition fits in my everyday enjoyment. For fountain pens, I'm up to a full double set--two pens for each color ink I'm using, one for home use and the other for the office. For ukes, it's about where they fit sonically in my collection.

For a more modern pen, but fantastic writer, I'd recommend looking at what TWSBI has to offer. I have an ECO and a Diamond580. Love them both!!

I keep seeing TWSBI mentioned in reviews. I guess I'll have to look into them.

I just looked at them. I don't like see-through pens. Sorry.

Asks a man with a full beard. ;)

I stopped shaving a few weeks ago, and I have enough collections.

Actually, it is a rather full mustache and dundrearies, but no beard whatsoever. And these razors are very collectible with scales of various materials (all sorts of woods, metals, acrylics, mother of pearl)

While I like to write with a beautiful instrument, my collection is small. I have sets of ballpoint pens from the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation store that I rotate out and carry with me. However, I have arthritis and legible writing has become difficult when using a pen for extended periods.

I live in a digital world, so my main collection focus is those types of writing aids. With these I can type and later can transfer to digital documents. I started collecting back in the 90's with a Psion. Now I mainly use an Alphasmart Neo2 portable word processor. Ruggedly made as they were for use in classrooms, they enable me to work/create anywhere. Less bulky than a manual typewriter, they run for about a year on three AA batteries. Not as beautiful as a fountain pen, but unique in itself.

https://www.loudcoffeepress.com/post/alphasmart-neo2-review

don't even think about going down the endless rabbithole of pocket knives and watches

Sorry, too late. I haven't counted either, but I have nowhere near a hundred. I could be close on the watches, though. I have no intention of getting more of either. Pocketknives come in handy all through the day, and a watch, well, obviously...

There needs to be a name for the condition that goes like this:
1, You want to buy something
2, You start researching on the internet
3, You find and join a forum dedicated to that something
4, You end up spending all your disposable income accumulating unnecessary quantities of that something, enabled and encouraged by your fellow forum members.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/
4405759110_e100b2b5f7_c.jpg

don't even think about going down the endless rabbithole of pocket knives and watches

lol. I have my dad's old pearl handled 2 blade Imperial pocket knife and an old straight razor with a really old looking wood handle that says "manufactured by Frederick Reynolds" on it. the thing has a deadly edge on it. there must be an art to using one of these things.

There needs to be a name for the condition that goes like this:
1, You want to buy something
2, You start researching on the internet
3, You find and join a forum dedicated to that something
4, You end up spending all your disposable income accumulating unnecessary quantities of that something, enabled and encouraged by your fellow forum members.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/
4405759110_e100b2b5f7_c.jpg

I didn't even need the help from other forum members: the amount of sports memorabilia I have would make your head spin.

there must be an art to using one of these things.

Yes, ma'am, very much so. I use one every day and can say that there is a definite learning curve. The most interesting aspect of it all is the lack of pain. If you make an injudicious movement, you hear the "tick" and you know that you are going to be bleeding in five seconds. However it doesn't hurt at all. I do have to say that over the years I have never really cut myself--just nicks here and there. I would equate the difficulty of attaining this skill to be commensurate with completing your first campanella arrangement. It is hard, but if you take it little by little, you'll achieve it.

For me, there are 2 kinds of collections. Ones that , when I look at them, I say "wow, I love this collection; perhaps a few more." Then there are ones that I say "gee, this is really too many. Maybe I have a problem." The interesting thing is that the numerical counts don't really matter in the categorization.

Thank goodness I don’t need to shave - I have about 550 fountain pens, and trying to resist buying my 24th ukulele. Self-help therapy obviously not working..... ��

Top Bottom