What Do Ukes and Fountain Pens Have in Common?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
What do ukes and fountain pens have in common? I accumulate them.

I've been watching a lot of YouTube on TV lately, and I was surprised to see so many fountain pen channels. China is a major manufacturer of very good, inexpensive fountain pens. I mean like under $10, or under $5.00.

So far, I've accumulated thirty-three. I made two wooden racks to hold a dozen each, but last night I received a fountain pen storage box from Amazon. That has room for thirty-two pens, and I have racks to hold two dozen.

See my problem? I don't have enough pens! I have storage for fifty-six, but I have only thirty-three. The pressure is on! :D

Have you started looking at mini-lathes to turn your own yet?

I have a semi-serious collection of antique, vintage, and modern fountain pens. The last time I dared to count them, it was something north of 100! I also collect vintage safety razors and shaving brushes. Much like my ukuleles, they all get used...maybe not all at once, but I try to rotate the collections into use fairly regularly.

I have a semi-serious collection of antique, vintage, and modern fountain pens. The last time I dared to count them, it was something north of 100! I also collect vintage safety razors and shaving brushes. Much like my ukuleles, they all get used...maybe not all at once, but I try to rotate the collections into use fairly regularly.

I forgot to mention that I also seem to collect junk. Looking around the house and the garage, I often ask myself, "Why in the world am I keeping this thing?" ;)

In the 90's, I use to bid on lots of cuff links and fountain pens. However, unlike Jerry I am not a collector; I am a user. So I only have a few fountain pens, but they are all I write with, and I have been doing that since I have been an adult. My bigger issue nowadays is ink. My whole life I have used S.T. Dupont black ink. It has become a little difficult to find and it is quite expensive. In the spirit of economizing during the pandemic, I have been using some incredibly cheap ink I got from amazon. It isn't the same as my Dupont, but it is serviceable.

I forgot to mention that I also seem to collect junk. Looking around the house and the garage, I often ask myself, "Why in the world am I keeping this thing?" ;)

Get in touch with Antique Archeology to sell some of the junk, maybe you'll get on their History Channel TV show "American Pickers."

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

In the 90's, I use to bid on lots of cuff links and fountain pens. However, unlike Jerry I am not a collector; I am a user. So I only have a few fountain pens, but they are all I write with, and I have been doing that since I have been an adult. My bigger issue nowadays is ink. My whole life I have used S.T. Dupont black ink. It has become a little difficult to find and it is quite expensive. In the spirit of economizing during the pandemic, I have been using some incredibly cheap ink I got from amazon. It isn't the same as my Dupont, but it is serviceable.
If you can't find the Dupont Black ink, give Aurora Black a try. It's very well-behaved and highly regarded by "the experts". Not cheap, but probably less expensive than your Dupont.

What? There are mini lathes? How many minis should I get? ;)
You start with one. Then you need a bigger one for bowls. And more chisels and gouges. And cool blanks for pens and bowls. And...

Ukuleles and fountain pens:
The commonality is those with discerning taste. ;)

(I keen towards Pelikans as a default, but have added many modern makers and/or custom grinds over the years.)

~ S.

I have mostly Parkers of various styles (bladder fill, siphon fill), but I love my Queen's Golden Jubilee pen. It's really pretty in its royal purple and gold. Unfortunately I bent the tip. Keep meaning to send it out for repair. I only know of one repair place in NY. anyone know of others?

I have mostly Parkers of various styles (bladder fill, siphon fill), but I love my Queen's Golden Jubilee pen. It's really pretty in its royal purple and gold. Unfortunately I bent the tip. Keep meaning to send it out for repair. I only know of one repair place in NY. anyone know of others?

You mean the Nib, right? The thing that touches the paper. Contact Gouletpens.com. I don't know where he's located, but he has a presence on YouTube.

You mean the Nib, right? The thing that touches the paper. Contact Gouletpens.com. I don't know where he's located, but he has a presence on YouTube.

Goulet doesn't do repairs. Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC should be able to help. Another recommendation is Mike Masuyama in L.A. (mikeitwork dot com). He's a wizard with fountain pens.

Goulet doesn't do repairs. Fountain Pen Hospital in NYC should be able to help. Another recommendation is Mike Masuyama in L.A. (mikeitwork dot com). He's a wizard with fountain pens.

FPH is the one I've used over the years. thanks for the recommendation on Mike. I wasn't even sure FPH was still around. time to hit google.

Gena at customnibstudio.com is phenomenal. :)

Nibmeisters' schedules fill and ebb so some have more availability/shorter wait times than others (and almost all have had to adjust their entire business models due to the show schedule shutdown), so another worthy choice is Linda Kennedy at https://www.indy-pen-dance.com/

Good luck!

~ S.

Get in touch with Antique Archeology to sell some of the junk, maybe you'll get on their History Channel TV show "American Pickers."

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I was about to post this but apparently great minds (or Mikes) think alike. :cool:

Top Bottom