Ortega CONCERT SIZED - RUSL-HSB - anyone

Gerald_G

Reaction score
I've done some searches on here, and found nothing.
Does anyone have comments on this model at all?

RUSL-HSB Ortega Concert.

Thanks

There is one pretty negative review, in French, on Amazon, but there are three five star reviews on Thomann for the product.

It is certainly an interesting combination...an archtop style ukulele without an archtop, yet still using a mandolin tailpiece in the design.

https://www.ukerepublic.com/store/p345/Ortega_RUSL-HSB_Saloon_Series_Flame_Maple.html

As for sound, I'd expect a very general laminate tone...but I could be wrong.

I would recommend finding a place that has one in stock and playing it before you commit to it.

Dropping in to try one is not an option unfortunately.
Nearest dealer is over 1,000km from me, and they'd need to order it in.

Here's a link to Ortega's listing.

https://ortegaguitars.com/en/products/rusl-hsb-m13321.html

If I see the same review as you, the buyer was upset that the uke arrived with a scratch on it. Not a complaint about the playability or sound

Last edited:
Why not contact Uke Republic directly. Mike frequently posts videos on YouTube about the ukes they sell. Maybe he could do a video about this one.

There is one pretty negative review, in French, on Amazon, but there are three five star reviews on Thomann for the product.

It is certainly an interesting combination...an archtop style ukulele without an archtop, yet still using a mandolin tailpiece in the design.

https://www.ukerepublic.com/store/p345/Ortega_RUSL-HSB_Saloon_Series_Flame_Maple.html

As for sound, I'd expect a very general laminate tone...but I could be wrong.

I would recommend finding a place that has one in stock and playing it before you commit to it.

Are you sure it's not really an arched top? Hard to tell from photos, but looks arched to me :/

Thanks for the links. I had seen the first one. Wish I could understand the second.

Kala used to, maybe still do sell a similar arched top model which I have played a few times and to be honest it was nothing special.

Thanks - based on what I've discovered so far, Kala makes an archtop in Tenor size, not concert.
I have come to realize that I may actually need two ukes (is this how UAS starts), as I like the music that is written for low G, but would also like a high G tunes uke around.
How common is it for folks to have a concert tuned to high G, and a tenor to low?

Last edited:
Thanks - based on what I've discovered so far, Kala makes an archtop in Tenor size, not concert.
I have come to realize that I may actually need two ukes (is this how UAS starts), as I like the music that is written for low G, but would also like a high G tunes uke around.
How common is it for folks to have a concert tuned to high G, and a tenor to low?

Well, I dont have ONE of each... have two tenors tuned low G and four concerts tuned high G...

You will find that having both is very common among people who use this ukulele forum.

Add a baritone and ukulele-bass too while you're at it!

Thanks, you folks are very enabling... - I mean encouraging.

Honestly, for me it is different ukes for different tunes. "Ain't She Sweet" just doesn't sound good on a low G Tenor. And there are many, many fingerstyle arrangements that can only be played on a low G.

I have one uke set up with lo G. One cannot play Campanella style very well that way.

Around here? Just about all of us!

Isn’t that the bare minimum for UU membership? Gerald, you’re lucky you managed to get in with just one.

Last edited:
How common is it for people to have more than one pair of shoes? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom