A New Smiley-Face Sopranino Fom Mahalo

Bill Sheehan

Reaction score
I noticed this evening that the folks at Mahalo are introducing, for 2021, a bright yellow sopranino-size smiley-face uke called the "U-Smilino".

I've owned their soprano-size smiley-face model for a few years, and found it to be pretty decent actually. I'm wondering if this new little one might be fun to check out! It doesn't seem to be available for purchase just yet... but when the time comes, it might be interesting. Looks like it'll run in the $50.00 range.

Honestly, I've not been a big Mahalo fan over the years, but this new sopranino model looks kind of cool!

P.S. Sorry about the bad spelling in the title above!

At first I didn’t find that page clear, but it looks like there will be two size variants of their smiley face Uke. I have no plans to buy one but if the price is competitive then the Sopranino might well be surprisingly popular. With them being a bit smaller (circa 47 cm or 18 & 1/2”) I wonder if they will need to be tuned up to D (might be needed but it would put me off).

Last edited:
At first I didn’t find that page clear, but it looks like there will be two size variants of their smiley face Uke. I have no plans to buy one but if the price is competitive then the Sopranino might well be surprisingly popular. With them being a bit smaller (circa 47 cm or 18 & 1/2”) I wonder if they will need to be tuned up to D (might be needed but it would put me off).

My Ohana sopranino is tuned normally.

Jerry and Graham, I think the little sopranino version is only going to come in the yellow color (for the time being), while the other colors are regular soprano size (and of course they have a yellow soprano too). But I've always associated the smiley-face theme with that bright yellow color anyway, so I'd be fine with the yellow sopranino. I prefer the "a D F# B" tuning on sopranos, so I'm definitely okay with cranking a sopranino up into that tuning as well. Now, it's possible that I don't have my facts straight on that "color" question, but I guess time will tell. The thing I like about my yellow soprano smiley-face Mahalo is that it has a nice chunky neck; feels just right in my fretting hand! Here's a photo showing the soprano and the sopranino together...

Smilino_Smile.jpg

Last edited:
Should sell well, there's not many sopranino ukes available commercially, & if cheap enough for a beginner to buy, I think it will be good for ukes in general. :)

(Had to put a smilie at the end, didn't I.) ;)

I think I will have to buy one when they come into the local shop. If it is under $50 it wont be a burden to buy and try out. If it is down around $20, I could get two, one to fiddle with and one to leave alone until I know what I am doing.

The Mahalo U30, which is no longer in production was one of the first high production low cost ukes on the market late last century and its possible that its availability opened up a few doors for ukuleles to become more popular. I think the archives of a board like the Ukulelecosmos will have some posts from early in the century when a start up group would do a bulk buy of U30s and then have a group fettling session to adjust the action and intonation. I have several U30s of various ages, some of them are ageing well, others are still "opening up" and probably will be until next century. I use them as loaners and share them with interested people, they are good enough for a new person to get an idea of ukes without buying one.

One of the problems I have with the soprano size it that it is about an inch too long for a lot of backpacks. Many backpacks are designed to be 20" high or about 50cm. So a 47cm uke will fit in without any bulge or stretching. This would make it an ideal travelling companion if it sounds good and plays well. If you are only entertaining yourself, the tuning is relevant, but you can adapt the uke as a transposing instrument and play ukulele arrangements.

Perhaps it will only come out in one colour for the first run to see how it goes in the market? If it goes well, then other colours and decorations may follow.

I think that it’s worth capturing this so I have.

Because I’ve been looking for a beater (I just can’t bear the idea of taking much more than a U30 or Dolphin anywhere rough) I had looked at Mahalo’s and indeed have had a couple. A U50 was made to be OK but then given away and a Kahiko - even after work - was so unsatisfying in use to me that I just binned it. The U30’s are interesting in that I suspect that the design and build did change over the years whilst the name/model number remained the same. Detailed historic data on them seems hard to come by. Whatever to me, and maybe some others too, the Mahalo name indicates both opportunity and risk. I wouldn’t automatically turn my nose up at a Mahalo but IMHO a Makala is worth the very little extra cost and much more likely to give a decent Uke.

A short while back I searched Cosmos for U30 stuff but really didn’t come up with anything particularly significant or new to me. They were affordable, they were (obviously) capable of making some ‘good enough music’, they were not unpopular, they usually needed work on them and you needed to change the strings to Aquila Nylgut Concerts. IMHO it’s a great shame that the adoption, use and (owner) improvements of the U30 aren’t recorded somewhere. They were at the front on this current Uke boom and important in re-establishing Uke playing.

Cheap Ukes, I just love ‘em. Well, that is, provided that they function as a musical instrument and not all of them do.

EDIT

I've owned their soprano-size smiley-face model for a few years, and found it to be pretty decent actually.

Being open minded I decided to look at the original Soprano version more closely and found one on offer for (as low as) 25 pounds delivered which, to my mind, is pretty darn cheap for a working instrument - which hopefully is what the maker and retailer intend it to be.

I then looked on-line for some demonstration videos and, to be honest, thought it sounded OK. Of course one should be wary and the expertly demonstrated Ukes had all been set-up (they played in tune along their fretboards) whilst the inexpertly demonstrated one was not pleasing to the ear. One expert demonstrator claimed to have nylon strings on whilst others said they’d got Worth CM’s on. I wouldn’t like to hazard to truth on what’s what with those videos, take ‘em with ‘a pinch of salt’ and consider the manufacture supported one to be as positive a demonstration as could possibly be made.

Anyway, what I’d like to hear is more about what the OP thinks of their Smiley Mahalo Soprano and how they set it up to play well for them, please.

Last edited:
I find it a bit childish, and would much prefer a "poop emogi" baritone...:poop:

I have been considering scratch building a baritone uke (buying a fretboard and tuners) and might seriously look into this design! Like the smiley uke, the eyes could be the sound holes, and the bridge could be the mouth... stay tuned :poop:

One of those was donated to us for the library workshops program. It actually doesn't sound bad. Loads better than any Waterman. In fact, the kids grab it first. I think it's immensely cute.

I think this will be a great uke to get kids interested in playing. Lots of fun!

Top Bottom