Anyone using Alaska Yellow Cedar for necks?

Cornerstone

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just finished 2 ukes (the tree and the other in quilted Sapele) and used Alaska Yellow cedar for the necks on both.
Maybe be just my experience but scent aside the stuff was not easy to work with. Very fibrous and hard to get sand marks off. Not to mention almost impossible to get any ebony dust off the pores.
5986F2D7-A71A-48A0-9A94-451346EA2A12.jpg

My first question would be: Why? Good wood for a top maybe, but why for a neck? It is awfully soft by the looks of it (Janka Hardness: 580 lbf (2,580 N) and maybe not the first wood one would want for a neck... When you say "the tree" do you mean that "tree", the incredibly expensive and highly figure mahogany tree from Honduras? If so, we would love to see pictures.

My first question would be: Why? Good wood for a top maybe, but why for a neck? It is awfully soft by the looks of it (Janka Hardness: 580 lbf (2,580 N) and maybe not the first wood one would want for a neck... When you say "the tree" do you mean that "tree", the incredibly expensive and highly figure mahogany tree from Honduras? If so, we would love to see pictures.

Why did I use it? Question is why not?
I’m always trying new things. It’s softer than mahogany but not that soft. But it’s stable and beautiful when finished.
My neck construction is very sturdy anyways.

Yes, the one and only. “The Tree”

BEF6E2B3-48B4-450A-B2D4-D501B4473817.jpg

I just used it on a build. Neck has (as always) carbon fiber reinforcement. I choose AYC for this build as the colour matches the colors of the body (spalted tamarind).
I then sprayed a unique light blue/black colour on certain areas of the neck to add interest.

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 7.59.07 AM.jpg

Cool! All my necks are reinforced with carbon fiber also. Between the rod and ebony fretboard I guess one could use almost any stable wood. I like the lustre of AYC but not sure it’s worth it considering it’s a pain to carve! Lol

AYC is a prized wood in the boat building world. For its stability.

Top Bottom