Can anyone tell me what the dots on the fret board are for?

Elysium82

Reaction score
ukulele.jpg

Hi,
My guess is that she is helping her students learn the C major scale. If that is the case, then what are the different colours for?

Thank you.

That's just a typical I IV V progression. The different colors indicate the different chords. The red is the C chord, the green is the F, and the blue is the G.

oh...what would I do without your help.

Thank you for pointing that out.

I find that interesting though, because she keeps saying that we shouldn't be looking...that will simply make us tilt the ukulele and mess everything up. I assume at the very beginning we need to look though (to some extent in order to learn those chords).

Thank you.

That's just a typical I IV V progression. The different colors indicate the different chords. The red is the C chord, the green is the F, and the blue is the G.

Please...do me a favour and explain to me what "I IV V progression" means?

Is it the tone/semitone distances that make up chords?

It's the intervals in the scale. C=1=I F=4=IV G=5=V for a C major scale. For a G major scale it would be G,C,D.

I IV V is a common chord progression.

Lots of chord/scale info here: https://ukulele-chords.com

Last edited:

Without getting into a bunch of jargon, just take the C major scale (CDEFGAB) and assign each note the number that corresponds to its order in the scale:

C=I
D=ii
E=iii
F=IV
G=V
A=vi
B=VII

Playing the I IV and V chords is very common. Those are the chords that comprise the normal twelve bar blues and innumerable pop songs use I vi IV V (google "Axis of Awesome" for humorous compilations of some famous examples)

Perhaps elevating the answer to be based on chord progressions in non specific keys and talk about scales, it is better to start the simplest way.

The red Dot is where to put a finger on the string to form the c chord when strumming and the rest of the strings are played open.
The blue Dots is where to put three fingers to form a G chord.
The green Dots are where to put two fingers to form an F chord.
A lot of songs can be played with these three chords. They are commonly used together, because they are used in one of the chord progressions mentioned above. But I doubt the teacher was planning to explains how chord progressions work and can be used in different keys.
I think it is more monkey see monkey do. Put your fingers here and lets focus on the timing and the changes, and you can play your first couple of songs using only the chords marked on the neck.

As UkingViking mentioned, she is just using different colors to indicate the positions to place your fingers for 3 different chords. (C, G, F)
She does it so that in one photo takes the place of three. Or, she doesn't have to remove the dots and reposition them for each chord in a video.

Those dots are there like a player's eye chart. If you can still see the dots, your not drunk enough, or tired enough to stop playing. So, just keep on strumming! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom