New Old Guy

BT212

Reaction score
New to the site, old to the world. I've always thought I would enjoy playing a ukulele but I just never did it. In fact, I didn't know there are so many different types of ukuleles to choose from! Well, day after tomorrow a brand new concert ukulele will be delivered to my house. I have absolutely zero experience playing this or any other instrument and this leaves me with more than a little anxiety and a couple questions -

1. Is it appropriate for there to be a soon-to-be 59 year old rookie uke player? Any hope?

2. Assuming plenty of practice is involved (30-60 min/day), how long can I expect it to take for me to be proficient (darn good strummer, some picking)?

Thanks! :cool:

Welcome to the forums. I was in my 50's when I started. Took me about six months to get good, about year for proficient.

Welcome to UU, BT212!
You sound really motovated, so don't let your doubts about age slow you down. Listen to your body to decide if you're trying to push too much.
Once you start your journey, you'll come to crossroads. The people you play with (maybe on Zoom nowadays), the tutorials you watch on YouTube, your musical preferences, your musical past etc will all influence the route you take. Perhaps you won't take the fastest way, but a more scenic route following narrow and bumpy tracks. When you think you're lost, give us a shout here! We'll come to your rescue!

Welcome to UU, BT212!
You sound really motovated, so don't let your doubts about age slow you down. Listen to your body to decide if you're trying to push too much.
Once you start your journey, you'll come to crossroads. The people you play with (maybe on Zoom nowadays), the tutorials you watch on YouTube, your musical preferences, your musical past etc will all influence the route you take. Perhaps you won't take the fastest way, but a more scenic route following narrow and bumpy tracks. When you think you're lost, give us a shout here! We'll come to your rescue!

Thanks, Ms. Bean. Yep, I'm super motivated. Can't stop watching You Tube tutorials! I just want to get going. Thanks for the support!

Good on yer, Matey! I was about your age when I first started playing ukulele. That was about twenty-five years ago and I'm still learning.

John Colter

Aye, John Colter! I'll look to you for tips!

You are certainly not too old! I'm 71 and did come from a guitar background, but the ukulele is different. But, I'm thoroughly enjoying the new challenge, I think you will too.

Good luck!

Welcome! I'm also new to uke and this site. Free advice to someone who's never played a stringed instrument:

Your fretting hand fingers move a lot. Maybe your strumming/picking fingers do too. Start out right with some warm-up/stretching exercises for your fingers up to your elbows before you play everyday. Pause during play to do the same. Ditto for post-practice.

I've been playing stringed instruments over 40 years now, but just recently started to get tennis elbow in my fretting hand. Its not too bad, but its better to avoid it altogether.

Welcome! I'm also new to uke and this site. Free advice to someone who's never played a stringed instrument:

Your fretting hand fingers move a lot. Maybe your strumming/picking fingers do too. Start out right with some warm-up/stretching exercises for your fingers up to your elbows before you play everyday. Pause during play to do the same. Ditto for post-practice.

I've been playing stringed instruments over 40 years now, but just recently started to get tennis elbow in my fretting hand. Its not too bad, but its better to avoid it altogether.

Thanks for the advice! Can't wait to get started!

Welcome BT212! I had no instrument experience and can't read music before I picked up the uke four years ago. I'm 69 years old.

I consider myself a beginner verging on intermediate. Our uke club has a member that turned 100 last year. He credits the club and playing for keeping him active and alert. He started playing uke at 90.

So it's never too late. As long as you have fun.

Welcome! I started out at age 60....you are not too old.

Considering you are 59, you are actually in a good spot. You have plenty of time to yourself and this is one of the best activities you can do during your free time.

Top Bottom