WTB: concert banjo ukulele / banjolele

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelz777

Reaction score
I've been romancing the idea of getting a concert banjo ukulele and may nurture that into a buy if I can find the right deal. If you have a banjolele you're interested in selling I'd like to hear about it.

I tried a number of banjo ukes over the years but didn't really find one I liked. Then I found a 50's model with resonator, terrific! However, as much as I like it, I would have preferred a concert scale. All banjoleles I found were sopranos. Someone locally was selling a cheap Chinese built Kmise for 30 bucks so I took a chance. Nice build actually, once I replaced the strings and set the bridge it played surprisingly well! I enjoyed playing it so much I too started looking for a resonator concert. The Kmise has a closed back, which I removed, but still not very loud. I couldn't find a vintage banjo in concert scale but discovered the Goldtone Deluxe and Lanakai. Found a good deal on a Goldtone Deluxe factory second. Great player (heavy!), I did replace the clumsy Acquila strings with Worths, very nice build and player! The Goldtone is a copy of the Gibson Mastertone banjo.

Last edited:
I tried a number of banjo ukes over the years but didn't really find one I liked. Then I found a 50's model with resonator, terrific! However, as much as I like it, I would have preferred a concert scale. All banjoleles I found were sopranos. Someone locally was selling a cheap Chinese built Kmise for 30 bucks so I took a chance. Nice build actually, once I replaced the strings and set the bridge it played surprisingly well! I enjoyed playing it so much I too started looking for a resonator concert. The Kmise has a closed back, which I removed, but still not very loud. I couldn't find a vintage banjo in concert scale but discovered the Goldtone Deluxe and Lanakai. Found a good deal on a Goldtone Deluxe factory second. Great player (heavy!), I did replace the clumsy Acquila strings with Worths, very nice build and player! The Goldtone is a copy of the Gibson Mastertone banjo.

The Gold Tone Deluxe is a beauty and I'd love to have one but it's a bit too expensive for me! I'm going into this journey knowing that a banjo uke will be a limited player compared to my "regular" ukes but I'd like to get into some of the music and playing styles where a banjo uke would shine. I'm glad you found an instrument that worked for you, it's a great feeling to have found an instrument that you can be excited about! I'd be excited about a Gold Tone Deluxe too!

Try the Kmise, can be had for under 100.00. Good start. I didn't care for the clumsy Acquila strings, put Worth clears on it. Some put tenor strings on them to give it a bit more bark. Set the bridge at about the same place as your concert ukes and adust it up and down for desired action and intonation.

mikelz777, I have four that I'm getting ready to list:
1. Gold Tone BU-1 Concert scale, with pickup and Gold Tone gig bag
2. Gold Tone BUC- Concert scale with removable resonator and original plush-lined Gold Tone hardshell case
3. Bean Sprout concert banjolele with curly maple armrest and original Bean Sprout gig bag
4. Vintage Gibson UB-2 with removable resonator and hardshell case

They are all impressive sounding instruments and good players. The first two are very affordable (3 and 4 get into the higher-priced range). Let me know if you want more info on any of them.
Ernie

mikelz777, I have four that I'm getting ready to list:
1. Gold Tone BU-1 Concert scale, with pickup and Gold Tone gig bag
2. Gold Tone BUC- Concert scale with removable resonator and original plush-lined Gold Tone hardshell case
3. Bean Sprout concert banjolele with curly maple armrest and original Bean Sprout gig bag
4. Vintage Gibson UB-2 with removable resonator and hardshell case

They are all impressive sounding instruments and good players. The first two are very affordable (3 and 4 get into the higher-priced range). Let me know if you want more info on any of them.
Ernie

Thanks for posting, PM sent!

If you want one that's kinda fun look at a gold tone little gem. You need to like a flatter back on the neck though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom