Fremont Soloist for Baritone?

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Some have noticed that the wound baritone D string from Uke Logic looks a lot like a Fremont soloist. I see the soloist is sold for concert and tenor but I wondered if there was any reason it wouldn't work as a baritone low D. It's long enough but I know nothing about string widths and what would be required for a different tuning.

Some have noticed that the wound baritone D string from Uke Logic looks a lot like a Fremont soloist. I see the soloist is sold for concert and tenor but I wondered if there was any reason it wouldn't work as a baritone low D. It's long enough but I know nothing about string widths and what would be required for a different tuning.

It might work on a baritone, but it's a little thin at 0.030". An Oasis Warm Smooth Wound G works great on a baritone (.0033") as D, IMHO.

Most wound D strings for baritone are .035” and wound G are .030”. The Fremont soloist is .030” which is perfect for low G tenor. You could put the Fremont on the D position on a baritone, it wouldn’t hurt anything. It will have less tension then a proper .035” string and feel floppy and possibly sound thin and weak.

As Doc J said above you could use a .033 wound, that is what Mya Moe sent their baritones strung with.

If you specifically want flat wound strings on your baritone you can always try Thomastik-Infeld strings. CF35 and CF30 are the ones you want for the proper gauges and should be widely available.

I've tried the Fremont on a bari and it seemed a bit sloppy to me. The Oasis .033 as a D rings nice and warm, though I find the Uke Logic bari D the smoothest.

I've tried the Fremont on a bari and it seemed a bit sloppy to me. The Oasis .033 as a D rings nice and warm, though I find the Uke Logic bari D the smoothest.

I had Uke Logic on a baritone and loved the wound "D". Unfortunately the E string in that set was oddly off and I had to replace it with an E from a Worth set. I wonder if it was just the bad luck of a wrong string packaging error.

Brands like fremont or Uke Logic don't manufacture or wind their own strings but contract these things out to companies with manufacturing facilities. If wound strings appear similar then it is quite likely that they are from the same supplier of wound strings. You can always ask who actually makes the wound strings and then buy singles from the source if you like them.

Top Bottom