Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tension List for Ukulele Strings

Default Tension List for Ukulele Strings

Thanks to mimmo from Aquila for giving the formula that let me calculate the tension of various strings that weren't listed here in the past. The URL below will take you where I have put the pdfs for the tension calculation.

I'm fairly certain that the math for the various tensions is accurate, there could be typos in the rest of the spreadsheet. I have double checked my original and found many errors/changes to the strings which I have corrected here. If you see any errors, please let me know. Also, if you can add a few strings (name, type, and diameter in inches) let me know that and I'll add it to the final version of the spreadsheet.

Go to http://ed1.cc/Ukulele/StringTension to get the tension list and information.
    Last edited by Ed1; 03-21-2021 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Major Changes to Aquila and D'Addario

Wow! Ed, that's a lot of work! Thanks for doing it.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thanks Ed...geez, my eyes hurt now though! At least I think I can see the strings I have now compared to the ones I want next time I restring!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Why does the phrase "It was my understanding that there would be no math....." come to mind? Nice work.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Thanks Ed! Already printed out and tacked on the wall of my uke area for quick reference.

I have changed the images on the first post. There were many errors and updated diameter changes that needed to be made. If you printed the images, you may want to do it again with these new, corrected images.

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

well dudes,
    we are working on all our uke tensions.
    here is the first table in italian at the bottom after the video.

https://aquilacorde.com/negozio/cord.../super-nylgut/

take care
    Mimmo

Ps: ED 1: well done dude!

Everyone: Please check out the First Post. I created a PDF and removed the almost impossible to read jpgs. Since the URL will always be in the first post, the PDF will be easy to update and find.

Mimmo: I'm curious why my tension numbers are different than yours. They're not that different - but they are different.

I use the lengths of 13,15,and 17 inches for soprano, concert, and tenor. The p(rho) numbers are titanium 1.08 nylon 1.04 nylgut/new nylgut/supernylgut 1.3 fluorocarbon 1.78

Here's an example of the new nylgut soprano A string in excel. As you can see, I wanted the final tension to be in Kg.
    (POWER(440,2)*POWER(13/39.37008,2)*POWER((0.0236*25.4),2)*1.3/3122)

In the big picture, it's not that important as long as I'm using the same (assuming it's correct) formula for every string. However, if there is something I can do to improve it, please let me know.

oh wow. What a comprehensive list! Great job putting this all together Ed1.

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

You have no idea how many years I've been looking for just this! I don't have the math skills to do it for myself, and as far as I know, you're the first one to get it done. Bravo!!!
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Thread Information