Ohana sk-21 sopranino ukulele just bought, hate friction tuners

ukeanixi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought a cosmetically challenged sk-21 off an auction site. It comes with Gotoh friction tuners, which I despise (don't ask).

I would like to get a decent set of geared tuners for the sopranino, and I would like to know if any of you more tech-oriented folk have done the same. If any of you other less techie folk have had the same notion, or have had it done, etc, please chime in.

Thanks in advance,

I have installed Grover 9NB's (black buttons) and Grover 9NW's (white buttons) on several ukes over the years. They're reasonably priced and work great!

Last edited:
Consider the hole sizes (will they work as is, or need modification?) and the back plates (is there room for them on the back of the headstock and/or will new holes need to be drilled?). Specs/measurements for Grovers can be found online

Yes! Points well-taken!

Consider the hole sizes (will they work as is, or need modification?) and the back plates (is there room for them on the back of the headstock and/or will new holes need to be drilled?). Specs/measurements for Grovers can be found online

I wish that Ohana would publish such data. Does anyone know the model of Gotoh frictions being used on the SK-21?

Ukeanixi, I don't want to be difficult, but have you considered giving the stock tuners a chance? I've had an SK-21 and found the stock tuners to be fine, once I got used to 'em. :)

Ukeanixi, I don't want to be difficult, but have you considered giving the stock tuners a chance? I've had an SK-21 and found the stock tuners to be fine, once I got used to 'em. :)

I've already gone down this path. I've tried several sets and they're just not to my liking. So, I will try the Gotohs out, but, the die is cast and parts have been ordered. Not to say that y'all who love frictions are silly, not at all! I just despise them myself. OTOH, I'd like to try planetary tuners some day, but, they're just too expensive for me right now.

I've already gone down this path. I've tried several sets and they're just not to my liking. So, I will try the Gotohs out, but, the die is cast and parts have been ordered. Not to say that y'all who love frictions are silly, not at all! I just despise them myself. OTOH, I'd like to try planetary tuners some day, but, they're just too expensive for me right now.

Understood! It's all about personal preference! Good luck with it; that SK-21 is a pretty sweet little uke!

Graph Tech Ratio Tune-a-lele Ukulele Tuners. I put them on my SK-21 and couldn't be happier! You can get them from StewMac.

Top Bottom