8 string tenor stringing tips - breaking high C

mwilson

Reaction score
I have a new 8 string tenor with slotted headstock. After a couple of months of playing I had a high C string break (at rest) while waiting to play after taking outside. Replaced and tuned to pitch. 2 weeks later I had same string pop (at rest) after bringing inside from playing. I gonna let uke sit longer in the case after taking inside/outside. Appears to break at nut or first fret so I will get a loop and look at that first chance. Til then:

Looking for tips from 8 String Tenor players on the care of the thin octave strings. Ex: Do you let them sit at half pitch for a bit before bringing to pitch?

TIA!! Mark

I have a new 8 string tenor with slotted headstock. After a couple of months of playing I had a high C string break (at rest) while waiting to play after taking outside. Replaced and tuned to pitch. 2 weeks later I had same string pop (at rest) after bringing inside from playing. I gonna let uke sit longer in the case after taking inside/outside. Appears to break at nut or first fret so I will get a loop and look at that first chance. Til then:

Looking for tips from 8 String Tenor players on the care of the thin octave strings. Ex: Do you let them sit at half pitch for a bit before bringing to pitch?

TIA!! Mark
Sounds like there is a nut issue as you already suspect. I have six string with octave C and had no problem with it whatsoever yet.

The high octave C string is very susceptible to breaking. Nothing unusual. The usual culprit is a sharp edge on its corresponding nut slot. Carefully feel for a rough edge on the nut and gently sand it smooth.

I take my 8 string tenor inside to outside all the time to busk with it and I don't break strings these days. All strings will suffer from sharp edges on the nut slots by getting nicks in them but its mostly only the high octave C string that breaks.

Last edited:
Will have the builder look at the nut soon. I can't see or feel an issue. Thanks

Wondering if there is a source of just high octave C strings. I already have 2 new open sets of strings with only that string removed

For a long time I played my 8 string tenors as 7 string tenors without the high C string because I preferred the sound as a finger picker. It gave a deeper sound on the bass strings.
Just play the instrument as a 7 stringer until the builder can sort it out.

What they are suggesting you look at is the "ramp off" angle (I'm sure there's a term for that - break angle, maybe?) of the nut slot on the side toward the frets. I had the same problem with an .016" nylon high E on my GDAE sopranos. This is the same pitch as violin high E.

First, I just scraped the slot with my thumbnail and that helped. Finally, I very slightly filed the break angle at about 45 degrees. Again, just a tiny bit. All 4 are now reliable at high E.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
Top Bottom