SOTU 470 - Title Sequence

Hello again, Joko ... I hope you are OK; I've just noticed that you haven't been around for a couple of days! This is my four-word title song and is probably as far as I'll go ... I've got to do my wrap for last week. It comes from the original (and far superior) version of "The Italian Job" (1969), where it was played over the title credits. It is curiously out of kilter with the contents of the film, which is hardly romantic and is famous for Michael Caine's immortal line, "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" But it DOES sound Italian - Italy being where the majority of the action takes place - and, I suppose, SOUNDING Italian is romantic in itself!

Up to eight words now. I double checked whether the title has "I" at the start in my Tom Paxton songbook, which I bought after a gig in South Shields in 2002. I got him to sign it, although I told him that I can't play guitar, I just like song books. Both of those things are still true. Although he did say, "Don't worry, if I can play 'em, anyone can."

In the notes for this song in the book, he says, "I've had countless people tell me they learned to play the guitar with this song. They always look a little confused when I tell them the same was true for me."

I added a bass line with a midi keyboard, and a harmonica because it's a folk song from the 60s so it just seemed like the right thing to do.

I recorded my entry. When I went to check whom to credit, I discovered that I had only half the official title. If I'm lucky I can still do four and five word titles and have the six word title in the book.

Anyway, since the pressure is on I've settled for a three chord three word title emergency entry. Maybe I'm still on trend, too?

Tangential to the season, but has anyone heard anything from Kevin, Marc or any of the other TX based Seasonistas?

Been working on this instrumental arrangement of a Cole Porter swing tune and it fits the bill for my second entry(three word title)Hope you like it.

WHERE DID ROBINSON CRUSOE GO WITH FRIDAY ON SATURDAY NIGHT? Sam M. Lewis / Joe Young / George W. Meyer 1916

My 9th contribution with a 10 word title. I learned this song from my friend Catfish Willie, but my first guitar hero, Jackie Washington also does a great version.

catfish willie squatting.jpg
Catfish Willie in the eighties with bright red hair and beard. He is now bald with a white beard, but still makin' music.

Jackie with Kay.jpg
Jackie Washington as he looked when I first saw him in the early sixties, playing his old Kay guitar. We lost Jackie in 2009.

My 10th contribution with a 11 word title: Lonnie Donegan's Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour On The Bedpost Overnight?
for all you Skiffle fans.

I have no idea what possessed me to do this, but don't worry, whatever it was, it's been exorcised now. Of the nine word titles I found, this was the only one that's a song I both liked and wanted to learn, and one the idea was in my head I couldn't shift it. It's just, well, a bit long... it's an epic Bob Dylan tale about whatever it is this song is about.

Seriously, I have no idea what this song is about. Normally that would bother me, but in this case I love it anyway, just for the strange pictures it paints. Featuring a baritone and tenor uke, some keyboards, and a harmonica. Also featuring some evidence of my eight word song in the background. If it sounds a bit odd in my English accent, imagine that I'm sitting in Mobile, Lancashire and yearning for Memphis, Northumberland (and also imagine those places exist).

This week has given me a marvellous excuse to procrastinate, so thanks for that Joko! I hope you're doing okay.

STOP PRESS: I've just heard from Kev. He is OK, although he says it has been pretty challenging. (I am assuming that the same goes for Marc ... Kev was replying on his phone and had to keep it short.)

Good to hear the Texicans are okay.

Me, I missed a couple days... but here's another of my rollicking recaps...

I accidentally uploaded the 41-minute long, raw unedited version of this video on YouTube a couple hours ago. It got 8 views - for those who saw it, it's perfectly normal to wear swimwear in the house alone and no what you saw did not require any special permits or training.

The Two Word Title Entry
San Quentin by Johnny Cash.

I mentioned to a buddy that I was searching for a tune with a 12 word title and I just got an email with a suggestion of Kinky Friedman's Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed.
Well, I gave it a listen and decided that it's not my kind of song, besides which, I don't think it would endear me to my darlin' lovely wife, so if anyone is lookin' for a song with a 12 word title, it's yours. I'll keep lookin'.

I was hoping to do a few more but this looks like the only one I have gotten to.

I like this song but I have never learned it.

Fun!

I hope you're staying safe, Joko! This is one of my favorite 2-word title songs, by a progressive-rock band whose stuff isn't ideally suited for ukulele (so of course I've submitted renditions of several of their songs to the seasons). Marillion, meet ukulele!

Up to ten words now, this is So You Want To Be A Rock 'N' Roll Star by the Byrds.

I am, of course, utterly unqualified to give any advice on this topic, so I've made a bit of a change towards the end in the hope that it helps.

*RULE UPDATE*

There was a reason I said "previous originals" were okay.
I know. I'm a jerk, but think about for a second and you'll understand.
First season I can think of where new originals aren't allowed...
oooooooooooooooooooooooooops sorry joko - my first entry for the week was a new song :(
and so is the one i was gonna bring now, but i'll go take it to the island!

Two words - "On hetki" (Some Moments) by Finnish songwriter Rauno Lehtinen from year 1974. A little tune on baritone.

Late to the game as usual for me this year. I don’t know why? Maybe I need bigger challenges like we used to have. A very specific theme. I used to enjoy having to search for a song that I liked but did not know.
Anyway here is a go to song for me with two words in the title “Freight Train“ instrumental.

Top Bottom