Crazy idea or not? Converting my Flight GUT350 to a 5-string DGCEA BariTenor?

ukeanixi

Reaction score
The biggest obstacle to the conversion would be the screwed in saddle. The reason for the question is that the neck/nut is a little narrow compared to guitar and I find that my index finger is interfering with the A string, plus, it's a challenge for me to keep my fingers separated enough when playing chords.

So, a five string DGCEA is one logical solution, or is it?

Hmm, 5-string DGCEA is not crazy:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...id-Hanson-5-string-tenor-quot-Caramelele-quot

But I'm not sure about the conversion. If you look at my specs, the nut is only 40mm with a comfortable string spacing of 8.5mm. So either you're going to have a good bit of fingerboard on either side or your finger spacing is going to be quite wide. And the bridge would definitely be a "challenge"

Hmm, 5-string DGCEA is not crazy:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...id-Hanson-5-string-tenor-quot-Caramelele-quot

But I'm not sure about the conversion. If you look at my specs, the nut is only 40mm with a comfortable string spacing of 8.5mm. So either you're going to have a good bit of fingerboard on either side or your finger spacing is going to be quite wide. And the bridge would definitely be a "challenge"

Thanks Jim.
The nut on the flight guitarlele is 48mm [very small difference, IMO]. The saddle is 68mm. String spacing is only 8.0mm at the nut. No wonder that it's a bit cramped for me. I believe that I should be able to alleviate the rubbing on my index finger by moving the A string over until it clears. Then from there, get equidistant spacing for the rest of the 4 strings to D. All that detail to get a reality check. The saddle isn't really a problem for me, since I've experience in woodworking/repair of ukuleles. I was thinking of just taking the 6 strings at the saddle and just moving them into 5 after figuring out the high A string first. Sorry, I'm not super great at luthier jargon.

Since you've got the skills then, I say go for it. I really like my 5-string.

Thanks brother, I'm really not happy with the Flight as-is. Like I said, the strings are closer spaced than I like. Plus, the 5-string/course sounds really appealing to me; as a long time guitar, nooby uke player. An in-betweener might just be a really nice diversion!

Top Bottom