Cort UKE-BWS Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the review. Happy Valentine's Day!

Anyone know of a good dealer for these in the USA? The company website lists a lot of USA dealers, but they all look like guitar stores and I wonder what kind of ukulele setup they would provide.

That one sounds pretty darned good, full and rich, not thin and banjoey.
A cracking sounding uke - just the ticket for me and a far cry from what people associate sopranos as

Always nice to hear a good soprano. My favorite. I think some of the poor quality ones really contribute a lot to the negative impression of them.

A couple of years ago, I bought the Acacia (or was it Australian Black Wood?) version of this uke. It is a delightful intrument.

I'm tempted, but I've already got too many really nice mahogany sopranos!

John Colter

I've been wondering which Martin "clone" I would hypothetically get if Kiwaya didn't exist. This would definitely be on my shortlist along with a Sigma SUM-2S and Flight MUS2. Maybe the Eastman soprano as well.

I've been wondering which Martin "clone" I would hypothetically get if Kiwaya didn't exist. This would definitely be on my shortlist along with a Sigma SUM-2S and Flight MUS2. Maybe the Eastman soprano as well.

The Sigma is the closest to this one price wise though still a touch more cost (in the UK at least). Very nice uke. The Eastman is gorgeous, though I didn't like that it had geared pegs. Also twice the price of this Cort.

Suspect the value for money on the Cort is a bit part of the recommendation!

A couple of years ago, I bought the Acacia (or was it Australian Black Wood?) version of this uke. It is a delightful intrument.

I'm tempted, but I've already got too many really nice mahogany sopranos!

John Colter

This IS the blackwood version John - doesn't look like it at first glance!

The Sigma is the closest to this one price wise though still a touch more cost (in the UK at least). Very nice uke. The Eastman is gorgeous, though I didn't like that it had geared pegs. Also twice the price of this Cort.

Suspect the value for money on the Cort is a bit part of the recommendation!

Yeah, the Sigma is a bit more expensive where I live as well but is much more readily available than the Cort. Same thing with the Flight I mentioned, although I haven't really seen any reviews for it so not sure about the quality. The Eastman looks the nicest of the bunch but is also the most costly, as you mentioned, and they are much more scarce than the others. Also, I would have to replace the tuners immediately...

Crikey! It looks more like mahogany. Mine is much darker in appearance. Very nice ukulele.

John Colter

Longtime lurker. Thank you for the review! Following the comment from another fellow, I am wondering if there's a recommended US source anyone knows of for one of these?

Hi,

Cort Arrived today ;)

About finish, indeed, it's very good.
The fingerboard is not stained on mine and very well finished.
Playability at the top, even if I still find it difficult to play on this format...
Some small finishing defects at one place on the back, and the sides, but very small, which cannot be seen, which feel just a little to the touch.

But overall, it's great !
I will probablychange the strings because I don't really like Aquila Nylgut. I will try to play a little bit more on it, otherwise I will try the living waters I have at home. Otherwise black kamaka that I liked a lot.

Attachments

• IMG_20210219_143038.jpg
    IMG_20210219_143038.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210219_143129.jpg
    IMG_20210219_143129.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210219_132150.jpg
    IMG_20210219_132150.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210219_111857.jpg
    IMG_20210219_111857.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 21
Interesting variety of shades and patterns with the blackwood. Mine is quite dark:-Cort, Blackwood (Acacia) soprano.jpg

John Colter

Baz, I really need to unsubscribe from your channel. Every time you put out a video and you're enthusiastic about the item, I feel the need to buy the Uke.

What's rather amusing is that the Cort soprano is $50 more expensive than the concert at the moment. Perhaps a reaction to your review?

Baz, I really need to unsubscribe from your channel. Every time you put out a video and you're enthusiastic about the item, I feel the need to buy the Uke.

What's rather amusing is that the Cort soprano is $50 more expensive than the concert at the moment. Perhaps a reaction to your review?

Not every review - just go back two weeks!

Not sure about pricing - they are still cheaper than concerts over here in the UK. In fact I saw one on offer for

Top Bottom