Old Woman With New Ukulele

spirittoo

Reaction score
Hello all ...
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm am old woman in comfortable shoes, learning to play music. I have been fooling around with the guitar and mandolin for a number of years. One day I decided I want to get a baritone ukulele.

It was the first instrument I tried to play when I was 8 years old. There was this local TV personality that hosted cartoons at 4:30 on WKYC Cleveland. He called himself "Barnaby" his real name was Linn Sheldon.

He played the baritone ukulele and it motivated me to want to learn.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/f4/4e/a5f44e2e80c2ff282ae2e319a6e13851.jpg

http://www.cabcleveland.com/uploads/images/legacy/barnaby.jpg

So I went on line and saw there were a lot of songs I can play with the uku so I ordered a baritone ... tenor ... and concert uku.

I ordered them last week but UPS lost them somewhere in Columbus.

I got these two that got lost ...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGXBG8H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXFSW38/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon told me it they show up I can keep them, but I doubt they will. If they do I will keep the baritone and sell the concert because I reorder the same concert and I don't need two. The baritone is just acoustic the replacement is eletro/acoustic.

This one came yesterday ...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZS33GK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 23" concert is the same in the above link ... this is the baritone I got today.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085G662CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking forward to playing them all. Easier to play then the guitar or the mandolin IMO.

Thanks for reading my post. :D

Ukuleles

P1040897.jpg
Wellsir ... so far I am liking them a lot :) For the price they are not bad.

Welcome to UU, spirittoo!

Comfy shoes are just sensible. I've been wearing Birkenstocks since I was 20, even for my wedding!

My favourite size is the tenor, but I've been playing more baritone lately. Now my low G tenor sounds a bit thin and I miss the lower sounds.
I only have cheap ukes, and I am happy with them!

Wishing you lots of fun on you ukulele journey.

Always good to have more women wearing comfy shoes here in the forum, and out in the world for that matter too! Welcome to UU!

I admire your style: buy three different size ukes all at the same time and dig in to see which you prefer to play in what type of musical context.

The luxury of having different ukes for different flavours of music and varying moods is something I feel grateful for.
Enjoy your return to the world of jumping fleas!

Hi Spiritoo, welcome to the Forum. I remember Barnaby very well. (Lousy ventriloquist.) I grew up in Akron and worked in NE Ohio a portion of my adult life.

I'm afraid neither Barnaby, Capt. Penny nor Mr. Jingeling inspired me to play an instrument.*

Three years ago, I was invited by a friend to attend a ukulele club meeting and I was hooked. I believe there are several ukulele clubs in NE Ohio. If we ever put COVID behind us, you should check them out. Oh, and I think they allow people with comfy shoes to join. ;)

*Ernie Anderson (Ghoulardi), Tim Conway, Ms. Barbara, Dorothy Fuldheim, etc.

Welcome to UU....and remember, we are only as old as we think we are!

I remember Barnaby! I grew up in Canton, watching Cleveland TV.

(Cleveland TV back in the day was the best...Barnaby...Superhost on channel 43 on Saturday afternoon...Big Chuck & Little John! Great memories.)

Welcome to UU!

Oh wow ... wonderful a couple of you know and remember Barnaby, Capt. Penny and Mr. Jingeling! Remember Woodrow the Woodsman? Well alrighty then!

Last edited:
Hello all ...
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm am old woman in comfortable shoes, learning to play music. I have been fooling around with the guitar and mandolin for a number of years. One day I decided I want to get a baritone ukulele.

It was the first instrument I tried to play when I was 8 years old. There was this local TV personality that hosted cartoons at 4:30 on WKYC Cleveland. He called himself "Barnaby" his real name was Linn Sheldon.

He played the baritone ukulele and it motivated me to want to learn.

Welcome to UU I hope that you enjoy the forum.

I wasn’t sure what you meant by your description of yourself so I asked Google, it’s not a term that I’ve heard before here in the U.K. and not everyone will recognise it. Whatever, I’m pleased for you to be happy and wish that more people could find and be allowed to enjoy harmless lifestyles that give them joy.

The Uke is a great instrument and playing one, if but badly, has given me a lot of fun. I tend to prefer the Sopranos to the other sizes, I find that they fit my hand and are easy to transport. Of course you can only tune Sopranos in gCEA and that’s limiting ... but people who don’t know that have somehow managed to play them in many different types of ways and pitches.

Good luck with your Ukulele journey. When this Covid plague is gone you might like to join a local Uke Club. There’s nothing like playing with friends, with rare exceptions I’ve found everyone in Uke Clubs to be friendly. I’ve also found Uke Clubs to be good places to learn stuff too, you meet people who know more than you and they are almost always willing to share what they know.

Last edited:
Thanks

This post has made me want to teach my mother how to play the ukulele as well. I hope you get really good at this and your efforts pay off.

Spirittoo, thank you for explaining why most people don't know who I am talking about when I mention Barnaby. I had assumed his show was nationally syndicated.
I also had no idea he played an 'ukulele! As a child, I assumed it was a special guitar made specifically for his show/character.

Uncomfortable shoes should have been abolished when the corset was. You go girl! :cool:

Welcome to the group (I am new as well)!

Last edited:
Thank Luahoana ... do you remember Woodrow the Woodman? My brothers don't. I believe he worked with Barnaby.

As you all can see in my sig ... I got a couple of U Bass ... I like them. I'm liking all my ukes. I plan to buy a flight solid body electric uke when they finally come back to the states. Hopefully in May, but it will be one of the most expensive instrument I own.:uhoh:

Thank Luahoana ... do you remember Woodrow the Woodman? My brothers don't. I believe he worked with Barnaby.

As you all can see in my sig ... I got a couple of U Bass ... I like them. I'm liking all my ukes. I plan to buy a flight solid body electric uke when they finally come back to the states. Hopefully in May, but it will be one of the most expensive instrument I own.:uhoh:

Yep, Woodrow, with his bowl haircut and bushy mustache, was on Barnaby.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your new ukes.

Well alrighty then! Someone that remembers Woodrow.:nana: Oh yeah ... really loving the ukes. So much easier to play than guitar.:music:

Hi spiritoo, I'm an old lady in comfy shoes too! Also used to play guitar and have switched to ukes, so we have much in common. :D Where we differ, though, is that I love the sound of a good instrument, and just cringe at a poor one. My ear has always been better than my playing ability, lol, even on guitar. However I found that I sounded better on a good uke than a cheap one, so it serves a purpose. One great thing about ukes is their affordability, and the fun factor they have. Enjoy your uke journey!

Last edited:
Top Bottom