Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Woman With New Ukulele

Talking Old Woman With New Ukulele

Hello all ...
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm am old woman in comfortable shoes, learning to play music. I have been fooling around with the guitar and mandolin for a number of years. One day I decided I want to get a baritone ukulele.

It was the first instrument I tried to play when I was 8 years old. There was this local TV personality that hosted cartoons at 4:30 on WKYC Cleveland. He called himself "Barnaby" his real name was Linn Sheldon.

He played the baritone ukulele and it motivated me to want to learn.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a5/f4...19a6e13851.jpg

http://www.cabcleveland.com/uploads/...cy/barnaby.jpg

So I went on line and saw there were a lot of songs I can play with the uku so I ordered a baritone ... tenor ... and concert uku.

I ordered them last week but UPS lost them somewhere in Columbus.

I got these two that got lost ...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon told me it they show up I can keep them, but I doubt they will. If they do I will keep the baritone and sell the concert because I reorder the same concert and I don't need two. The baritone is just acoustic the replacement is eletro/acoustic.

This one came yesterday ...

The 23" concert is the same in the above link ... this is the baritone I got today.

Looking forward to playing them all. Easier to play then the guitar or the mandolin IMO.

Thanks for reading my post.

Thumbs up Ukuleles

P1040897.jpg
    Wellsir ... so far I am liking them a lot For the price they are not bad.

Welcome to UU, spirittoo!

Comfy shoes are just sensible. I've been wearing Birkenstocks since I was 20, even for my wedding!

My favourite size is the tenor, but I've been playing more baritone lately. Now my low G tenor sounds a bit thin and I miss the lower sounds.
    I only have cheap ukes, and I am happy with them!

Wishing you lots of fun on you ukulele journey.

Always good to have more women wearing comfy shoes here in the forum, and out in the world for that matter too! Welcome to UU!

I admire your style: buy three different size ukes all at the same time and dig in to see which you prefer to play in what type of musical context.

The luxury of having different ukes for different flavours of music and varying moods is something I feel grateful for.
    Enjoy your return to the world of jumping fleas!
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Maui Music Tenor (koa)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Kamaka Long Neck Soprano Pineapple (koa)

Hi Spiritoo, welcome to the Forum. I remember Barnaby very well. (Lousy ventriloquist.) I grew up in Akron and worked in NE Ohio a portion of my adult life.

I'm afraid neither Barnaby, Capt. Penny nor Mr. Jingeling inspired me to play an instrument.*

Three years ago, I was invited by a friend to attend a ukulele club meeting and I was hooked. I believe there are several ukulele clubs in NE Ohio. If we ever put COVID behind us, you should check them out. Oh, and I think they allow people with comfy shoes to join.

*Ernie Anderson (Ghoulardi), Tim Conway, Ms. Barbara, Dorothy Fuldheim, etc.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don't begin to know until you begin to try to do.

--Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Welcome spirittoo and your new ukuleles!

Welcome to UU....and remember, we are only as old as we think we are!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I remember Barnaby! I grew up in Canton, watching Cleveland TV.

(Cleveland TV back in the day was the best...Barnaby...Superhost on channel 43 on Saturday afternoon...Big Chuck & Little John! Great memories.)

Welcome to UU!

Oh wow ... wonderful a couple of you know and remember Barnaby, Capt. Penny and Mr. Jingeling! Remember Woodrow the Woodsman? Well alrighty then!
    Last edited by spirittoo; 02-14-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
    Hello all ...
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm am old woman in comfortable shoes, learning to play music. I have been fooling around with the guitar and mandolin for a number of years. One day I decided I want to get a baritone ukulele.

It was the first instrument I tried to play when I was 8 years old. There was this local TV personality that hosted cartoons at 4:30 on WKYC Cleveland. He called himself "Barnaby" his real name was Linn Sheldon.

He played the baritone ukulele and it motivated me to want to learn.
    Welcome to UU I hope that you enjoy the forum.

I wasn’t sure what you meant by your description of yourself so I asked Google, it’s not a term that I’ve heard before here in the U.K. and not everyone will recognise it. Whatever, I’m pleased for you to be happy and wish that more people could find and be allowed to enjoy harmless lifestyles that give them joy.

The Uke is a great instrument and playing one, if but badly, has given me a lot of fun. I tend to prefer the Sopranos to the other sizes, I find that they fit my hand and are easy to transport. Of course you can only tune Sopranos in gCEA and that’s limiting ... but people who don’t know that have somehow managed to play them in many different types of ways and pitches.

Good luck with your Ukulele journey. When this Covid plague is gone you might like to join a local Uke Club. There’s nothing like playing with friends, with rare exceptions I’ve found everyone in Uke Clubs to be friendly. I’ve also found Uke Clubs to be good places to learn stuff too, you meet people who know more than you and they are almost always willing to share what they know.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 02-15-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Thread Information