My New Baritone Electo/Acoustic Uku Making Crackling Noise On Amp

spirittoo

Reaction score
A dry solder joint somewhere is the most likely cause. This is common, but not particularly simple to fix without already knowing your way around a soldering iron.

EDIT: unless its just the lead your using. Try a new lead first. If not then its likely to be a solder joint in the insert jack.

I have a soldering iron ... what do I need to do?
Thanks for posting.:cool:

I have a soldering iron ... what do I need to do?
Thanks for posting.:cool:

OK, in that case what you need to do is to look for expert advice on YouTube.
Firstly you need to isolate the problem and know for sure where the problem is, or which joint is bad, which is time consuming, which is why these things can be more expensive to fix than you would like.
Although, is this a new instrument that's under warranty?
If it is then speak to the seller first.

Does it sound okay once it's plugged in? Some people I know turn off their amps when connecting or disconnecting instruments to avoid the crackle and pop.

I have to play around with the jack in the uku to get the crackling to stop, and once it does it sounds okay. I don't get the crackling with my guitars so I don't think it is a bad solder joint. I ordered some contact cleaner to see if that will help ... I think it will be here Friday.:rolleyes:

I have to play around with the jack in the uku to get the crackling to stop, and once it does it sounds okay. I don't get the crackling with my guitars so I don't think it is a bad solder joint. I ordered some contact cleaner to see if that will help ... I think it will be here Friday.:rolleyes:

Sorry, bad solder joint on the instrument or the cable jack. Not on the amp although that can happen too. These issues can be difficult to locate/diagnose sometimes.
If your not really expert with a soldering iron then its probably best to leave it to someone else.

Figured it out

Wellsir ... I opened up the jack to see if there were any loose connections and found I could not pull the jack input because the clamp for the battery. Then I notice the jack nut was loose so I tighten it and that stopped the crackling noise.

I contacted Caramel Ukulele and got no response. So much for customer service.:anyone:

I do like the uku and I'm glad I don't have to send it back.:music:

when it happens again, use some removable thread locker or a tiny bit of white glue on the threads to keep it stable.

I contacted Caramel Ukulele and got no response. So much for customer service.:anyone:

I’m glad you figured it out.

When I received my Caramel guitarlele it sent no sound to the amp. I wrote them and got an immediate reply. The email included pictures and explained how to reconnect a plug that can come loose during shipping. Fixed the problem right away.

Sorry your experience was so different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom