Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I strum!

Default I strum!

Anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by BT212 View Post
    Anybody else?
    Anybody? More like everybody. You're going to work on making your right hand less spazoid, then you'll notice the development of your left hand has been seriously arrested. Then you'll work on making chords and your strumming will fall off. That's just the process we go through. It gets better over time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike $ View Post
    Some people find that a metronome helps. You can slowly bring your strumming accuracy and speed up to par.
    Yeah, what he said.
    If you look bad but sound fine, don't worry about it. Otherwise, set that metronome very,very ... very slow. Then slowly speed up the metronome until there's a problem. Slow it down just below where the problem is and practice practice practice.

Repeat the last sentence ad nauseam.
    Last edited by Ed1; 02-17-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Thanks for the advice, ukers. #patienceisavirtue

I don't strum terribly well since starting to fingerpick 7-8 years ago. I finger pick pretty well after staking lessons for a few years. I had no real instruction when I got my first uke and strummed with my thumb in a downward motion. With my nails grown out to finger pick that doesn't work too efficiently. I tend to strum with my index and middle finger.

Briarcliff, TX - Fabulous Hill Country home to Willie Nelson, and me!

I was going to learn how to strum, then I heard Jake play. Gave up the idea right away!
    "The sole cause of all human misery is the inability of people
    to sit quietly in their rooms." - Blaise Pascal, 1670

Given how simple it seems, its a remarkably difficult skill to totally master. The guitar World is just the same.
    I think that I've always been a decent strummer yet my strumming has picked up noticeably (to me anyway) in the last year or so.
    Definitely use a metronome and/or tap your foot.
    As an exercise, start off by swinging your hand/arm back and forth evenly at 8 beats per bar. That's a down + an up stroke, per beat for a standard 4/4 time measure.
    Don't try to do anything fancy or complicated to start with. It may sound boring but just start off with an even pace so that your hand/arm starts swinging like a metronome.
    When that feels a little better you can start adding some form and variation to your strumming.
    Basically, your hand/arm keeps moving just the same but sometimes you miss hitting the strings on an upbeat or a downbeat in order to create a particular rhythm for a particular song.
    You also learn to add some fretting hand dampening to create or accentuate a particular rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by BT212 View Post
    Anybody else?
    I takes time. Be patient. I prefer strumming to picking - more sound and more rhythm.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Try a lighter touch until you find a groove. Relax and let your stroke just graze the strings. Also muting the strings with fret hand and strumming can allow you to focus on stroke mechanics when working on rhythm.

Try using picks of lesser mm. Will help a lot at first but gradually you need to be comfortable with picks of larger width as well.

Thread Information