Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I strum!

I know you meant no harm, and neither do I. The term “spaz” as well as any derivatives of that term is highly offensive to those with CP, MS, or other spastic conditions. Along the lines of other derogatory labels that I’m sure you can think of for other minorities and ethnic groups.

It may also help to practice strumming along with a video tutorial. YouTube is full of them. I like the Ukulele Fool, but there are many others. My first ukulele book was called 21 Songs in 6 Days (spoiler, it took me much longer than 6 days to work through the book). The first few songs in the book are songs that can be done with 1 chord, like “Row, Row, Row Your Boat “, which really allows you to focus on strumming (there are online videos that go with the book) because you know the words and aren’t changing chords.

Not saying get that book, just pick something dead easy that you know the lyrics to by heart and doesn’t have a lot of chord changes, and you’ll be able to focus on strumming evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by BT212 View Post
    Anybody else?
    Uh, yeah. I strum too.

I just can't figure out why some of these replies seem to be answering a question that doesn't appear to have been asked.

Good tips. I kind of gave up on strumming to any kind of pattern. I can take along to how I think it sounds, but I mostly finger pick now

Quote Originally Posted by WestyShane View Post
    Uh, yeah. I strum too.

I just can't figure out why some of these replies seem to be answering a question that doesn't appear to have been asked.
    clairvoyance. That and the original post was longer originally but it has become truncated for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by WestyShane View Post
    Uh, yeah. I strum too.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    clairvoyance. That and the original post was longer originally but it has become truncated for some reason
    The original title and question was deemed offensive, so was edited/censored.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    The original title and question was deemed offensive, so was edited/censored.
    If something is going to be edited to the point of not making any sense maybe the Mods should have just deleted it. Kinda like pruning a tree until it's become nothing more than a stump.

All I can offer is that I've learned a TON from watching the UU whiteboard videos and the few youtube videos that Jake put out some years ago. I've recently seen that there is series of videos by - shoot, I'm spacing out on his name. The awesome Canadian uke player who I've even seen in concert 3 times. Well, those are good too.

My neighbor, who taught me to play when I bought my first Ukulele, is a guitar player that I infected with Ukuleles. He always plays with a regular consistent pattern. I on the other hand have learned to strum in a pattern fitting the lyric. mixing up and down strums, partial and full to get different sounds. I keep my right index nail trimmed to a long rounded shape and just use my index finger.
    Is this "right"? IDK? But it's how I play and someday I'll learn to finger pick individual notes more.

Last year I had an operation that left my left hand useless and I gave away five of my Ukes to my nephews. Now I'm down to just five Ukes and five Nephews playing ukes. It took me about six months to redevelop my left hand to chord again. I still struggle with the soprano though.

I strum, therefore I am.

John Colter

Thread Information