Good laminates

emba

Reaction score
I have been playing ukulele around 8 months now. I started on a Kala ka-15s, which I really enjoyed and which definitely did the job of getting me hooked, but I wanted to try low g and I wanted the fuller sound of a tenor, so I bought a spruce topped Ohana tenor.

I do like low g for some things, but I also like high g and want to keep one of each tuning around. But the sound of my little Kala really suffers compared to the spruce top Ohana. I don’t have room/desire to deal with more than 2 ukes. I think I’d like a concert, laminate, sub-$200 uke to replace the Kala. I could go up to $250, maybe.

What are the ukuleles I should be looking at and comparing? When are you paying for looks without any improvement in sound? What are your favorite laminates in that price range?

Last edited:
You can get a decent solid top or even an all solid concert for that kind of money. Are you looking for a laminate uke specifically?

Surprising that you prefer the Kala KA-15s (their cheapest ukulele) to a solid spruce top Ohana, which should have a clearer and more vibrant tone. What specifically did you not like about the Ohana? That will help us recommend alternatives.

You can get a decent solid top or even an all solid concert for that kind of money. Are you looking for a laminate uke specifically?

Yes, I’m looking for a laminate. Live in a very dry climate and I am somewhat forgetful. So while I really enjoy the spruce top I feel like it’s only a matter of time until it cracks because I forget to refill the humidifier, and I want something that I can travel with worry free.

Last edited:
Surprising that you prefer the Kala KA-15s (their cheapest ukulele) to a solid spruce top Ohana, which should have a clearer and more vibrant tone. What specifically did you not like about the Ohana? That will help us recommend alternatives.

Perhaps I worded things unclearly. I much prefer the Ohana. That is the problem. :) I now feel the need to upgrade to replace the Kala, though still with a laminate, one of better quality that is a step up in sound, and also a concert instead.

I had a Kala KA-S, which is similar to your KA-15s. For < $200, you can get a KA-SSLNG or KA-SSTU (I've owned both). Either one will give you noticeably better sound.

Crazy as this may sound, Kmise makes a model that comes in all sizes, including, recently, a 6 string guitar or guilele, and is made of a very good-sounding laminate. You’ll be able to get any size for under $100. Look for the one with orange tuner buttons and clear plastic over the gear mechanism so you can see them working. It’s no Kiwaya KS-5, but it’s a cut above most of the import laminates. It’s also well built. In general, though, if you want a really good laminate it’s like, laminate, laminate, laminate, pick your price, all about the same, then the Japanese-made Kiwayas, and they are quite a bit more. That may well be too broad a generalization, but you’d spend a lot fishing in that pond before you found anything standout. But that particular Kmise does stand out.

This is a little above your price range, but Martin just announced a new HPL laminate concert ukulele for $299. I own the soprano version of this ukulele and that is my favorite ukulele for traveling. Very durable and resistant to temperature and humidity issues. https://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/all-ukuleles/0XK-Concert-Uke.html

Kiwaya also makes very good quality laminates in the $250 to $350 price range, but I like the sound of the Martin better.

Some good brands for laminates in the $150 to $250 price range that are still a step up from Kala and Ohana are Islander, Koalana, and Leolani.

Also, Romero Creations STL is a compact laminate concert ukulele for $150 that sounds really good for that price level. https://www.romerocreations.com/stl

Last edited:
Yes, I’m looking for a laminate. Live in a very dry climate and I am somewhat forgetful. So while I really enjoy the spruce top I feel like it’s only a matter of time until it cracks because I forget to refill the humidifier, and I want something that I can travel with worry free.

I wouldn't worry about your solid top uke that much. You'll have to leave it in quite severe conditions for the top to crack, but of course it's always good to humidify when you can.

But if you're looking for a travel friendly uke and something you don't have to care for that much then laminate makes a lot of sense. Others have already suggested Kiwaya and I'd say that's your best bet for a quality laminate uke as well. The Japanese-made laminates are outside your budget, I think, but you should be able to get their Student series KCU-1 for under $250. I honestly doubt you'll get a better laminate concert for that kind of money. Another great option would be the KoAloha KoAlana all laminate series. Those I haven't tried myself but they are supposedly quite nice as well if you can find one.

Other great and more affordable options I like are the Islander ukes (the cheapo brand by Kanile'a), which have the same extremely comfortable neck profile of the Hawaiian-made Kanile'as, and Flight who offer so many all laminate models I can't even keep up with them. Personally, I rate Flight above some other brands that have been mentioned like Ohana and Kala, although admittedly Ohana does have some really nice looking all laminate models that were released very recently. But seeing as you already have an Ohana, I'd maybe try something else.

Crazy as this may sound, Kmise makes a model that comes in all sizes, including, recently, a 6 string guitar or guilele, and is made of a very good-sounding laminate. You’ll be able to get any size for under $100. Look for the one with orange tuner buttons and clear plastic over the gear mechanism so you can see them working. It’s no Kiwaya KS-5, but it’s a cut above most of the import laminates. It’s also well built. In general, though, if you want a really good laminate it’s like, laminate, laminate, laminate, pick your price, all about the same, then the Japanese-made Kiwayas, and they are quite a bit more. That may well be too broad a generalization, but you’d spend a lot fishing in that pond before you found anything standout. But that particular Kmise does stand out.

agree on this... this model is the KMU21/23/26/etc. and has a decal rope rosette and plain tie bridge (I call the tuner buttons light brown). kmise gets a bad rap, but this one is good. comes with 2 buttons installed, a bag, strap, tuner, and set of extra strings (and lifetime replacements free) for about 50 usd delivered for soprano or concert. they are even on amazon with free shipping and free returns, so pretty a much risk-free trial

If you like the sound of your Ohana, consider getting another Ohana, unless you want a different sound (which you have in your Kala). They are well-thought of in this price range.

I would consider contacting Mim at Mim's Ukes and directly discussing your needs and also purchasing from her as she does a full set up for all that she sells.

Also this in this UU marketplace:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?149080-Kiwaya-ksu-1l-mahogany-long-neck

Last edited:
But if you're looking for a travel friendly uke and something you don't have to care for that much then laminate makes a lot of sense. Others have already suggested Kiwaya and I'd say that's your best bet for a quality laminate uke as well. The Japanese-made laminates are outside your budget, I think, but you should be able to get their Student series KCU-1 for under $250. I honestly doubt you'll get a better laminate concert for that kind of money. Another great option would be the KoAloha KoAlana all laminate series. Those I haven't tried myself but they are supposedly quite nice as well if you can find one.

Other great and more affordable options I like are the Islander ukes (the cheapo brand by Kanile'a), which have the same extremely comfortable neck profile of the Hawaiian-made Kanile'as, and Flight who offer so many all laminate models I can't even keep up with them. Personally, I rate Flight above some other brands that have been mentioned like Ohana and Kala, although admittedly Ohana does have some really nice looking all laminate models that were released very recently. But seeing as you already have an Ohana, I'd maybe try something else.

The Koalana trembesi laminate is one that is intriguing me. They’re very pretty, but I wasn’t sure if they were enough better sounding than, say, the Islanders to be worth the price difference. Flight also looks interesting. I definitely do want something different than the Ohana, because I like it but variety is the spice of life. ;)

I have quite a few $2k to $3k Ukes in my collection. But every time I take down my little Leolani, I wind up thinking, "What a sweet sounding little instrument this is!" It's laminate, and right at your stated price point. You really should consider it.

Top Bottom