Painting a "Build-Your-Own" kit...

FatherFlipper

Reaction score
Hello there.

Right, I've searched through on the forum, but would like to ask/clarify some advice on painting a "build-your-own" kit that I purchased.

The kit cost about a tenner online, and came with no instructions (am guessing because it was a tenner tbf...). So. I sanded it down yesterday (lightly, came up quite well which surprised me a bit), and now looking to paint it.

Looking at various threads, it suggests using a primer first, possibly two coats, and then painting the ukulele. Three questions:

1) do I assemble the ukulele first, and then put the primer on, or primer first then assemble it?

2) if the second option, then do I use primer on the WHOLE of the ukulele (neck as well, both sides), or just the main body, and bits that will be "on show" i.e. NOT the neck where the fret-board will be glued on?

3) after primer on, is it an idea to sand it again?

Appreciate any help - I've got an idea of what I need to do, just kinda want somebody to say "yep, that's absolutely spot on" (for info, I absolutely cremated some cookies the other day, so adult supervision is probably a good idea).

Thanks again

Last edited:
Primer only where you'll paint. You don't want to prime or paint anywhere that will be glued: no primer under the fretboard or bridge. You'll need to mask these areas. Always sand between coats. If you don't sand the primer flat any flaws will transfer through to the final. 90% of a successful finish is in the prep work. 90% of the rest is in sanding flat.

Painting before assembly will be easier to get clean lines at the joints. This may be more of an issue with stain than paint. Again, mask off the joints. You want to glue wood to wood not to paint.

It probably doesn't matter on a cheap kit, but too much paint on the top can affect the sound.

Top Bottom