Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I add MiSi to my Blackbird order?

Default Should I add MiSi to my Blackbird order?

I recently ordered a Farallon with sound port. If I can afford to add the MiSi pick up, should I? Any downside to acoustic function or longevity?

No real downside to sound or longevity.
    Most convenient time to have a pickup installed is when you get the instrument brand new, so you might as well if having a pickup is likely to be useful to you.

Glad to hear it, Kissing. Any additional maintenance other than charging the Misi?

Quote Originally Posted by biscuitboyd View Post
    Glad to hear it, Kissing. Any additional maintenance other than charging the Misi?
    Don't think so. I had a MiSi put into my Flight to replace the original pick-up, and just had one put in my walnut tenor. They're really, really good pickups.

Ben

I’d put one in. It’s there if you want to use it. Plug into power for 60 sec and it’s ready. I’m happy with the ones I have.

I had the MiSi pick up on my Farallon. I never experienced any acoustic function issues or maintenance issues.

I had a Misi pickup installed when my Jupiter Tenor was built and I just had a Misi installed in my aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor. They sound great and the one-minute-charge time is fantastic.
    Larry

KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CONCERT
    JUPITER UKULELE TENOR #77, REDWOOD/SYCAMORE
    ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR" (LOW "G")
    ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR (LOW "G")
    OHANA BK-70M BARITONE

Thanks everyone. Just the push I needed. I'll contact Blackbird today.

If I already had an instrument or two with a pickup, I'd pass. It's extra clutter and might rattle when played acoustically. Of course if you mainly play amped up or are a pedalboard junkie, you'll need a pickup in every instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    It depends. If you play ukulele as a job there is a different answer. You need to look at how you do your job of playing and the cost benefits.

If you are getting the instrument to take out on hikes and adventures in the wild, electronics will get in the way of the fun.

If you are an enthusiastic amateur ukulele player, a pick-up will expand the possibilities to explore with your ukulele. If you do not already have an amp, you can look up some low cost battery powered models like the Marrshall Micro Amp. Its not the worlds best amp, but its enough to start to explore amplification. Or you can buy something like a headphone amp like the Vox AmpPlug and use your headphones to explore some amplification. Once you start to amplify and apply some controlled distortion, you get a whole new world to explore.

In the event that you go beserk with amplification enthusiasm, you can work up to more expensive amps and pedals.

I like that answer, Bill. I was going to say: if you're buying the ukulele because of its ruggedness and plan to take it where it will be exposed to the elements, then a pickup such as a MiSi will probably not be a good idea. But if you're going to use it as you would any other $1500 ukulele, then there's not reason NOT to have it.

A Blackbird Clara is on my dream list of ukuleles (the list is pretty short these days). I haven't thought about including a pickup...but now it's something to think about.
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information