Making a Uke Can be Very Easy

Jerryc41

Reaction score
If you want to make a ukulele to display on your wall or use as a planter, it's very, very easy. If you want to make one that will play, it's more of a challenge.

The challenging part is getting the angles and measurements right. If the neck is off by just a little bit, it won't look right, and it won't play right. I recently sawed the neck off a license plate uke I made because I wasn't satisfied with the way it looked and sounded.

Now that it's off, I'm struggling to find the center of everything, get all surfaces flat, and mount the neck in the right position.

We have so many member here who make instruments that look and sound beautiful. They deserve a lot of credit.

Thanks Jerry, just a reminder for anyone that wants to give ukulele building a go, they can contact me and I can send them the Youthalele plans. It does not get much easier or cheaper than that.
Brad

I would be interested. I have been kicking around the idea for a while now, and have recently moved to a house from a small apartment, so my excuse of having no place to work is all of a sudden gone :).

Scott

I would be interested. I have been kicking around the idea for a while now, and have recently moved to a house from a small apartment, so my excuse of having no place to work is all of a sudden gone :).

Scott

I saw a YouTube video from a guy in England. He was doing a carpentry demo in his kitchen.

Aloha everyone, I am getting a fair amount of interest in the Youthalele plans. It occurred to me that the easiest way for those interested is for them to do a search on UU Forums for Youthalele. You are looking for the thread “Building the Youthalele “, posted on 6-5-2020. It has some links to my Google photos showing all of the Youthalele designs, including the original no bend version. The thread also contains information on materials and other tips.
Mahalo nui loa,
Brad

Aloha everyone, I am getting a fair amount of interest in the Youthalele plans. It occurred to me that the easiest way for those interested is for them to do a search on UU Forums for Youthalele. You are looking for the thread “Building the Youthalele “, posted on 6-5-2020. It has some links to my Google photos showing all of the Youthalele designs, including the original no bend version. The thread also contains information on materials and other tips.
Mahalo nui loa,
Brad

Here you go:

Building the Youthalele

:)

~ S.

Last edited:
Top Bottom