Best Ukulele Songs

From the legendary Peter Moon and friends:

He has a lovely voice and what he plays on the ukulele is a perfect backup to that voice. I only wish he'd taken the time to learn the words. His words make no sense.

I must agree, Jim, that his "wordage" doesn't necessarily add up exactly like the original, but I've always thought that perhaps Iz was just kind of "riffing" on the song, and got a nice take during the recording despite not having the lyrics totally organized, and decided to call it a wrap, imperfections and all.

When I saw the title of this post, I just knew that Iz's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" would be here. To me, it is one of the most beautiful and honest expressions of music made with the ukulele.

Based on some of the comments after that one, it occurs to me that some folks might not know the story of that recording. Basically Iz was struck with an idea and went to recording studio at 3 in the morning. According to Milan Bertosa, who worked the recording, "Then I put up some microphones, do a quick sound check, roll tape, and the first thing he does is 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' He played and sang, one take, and it was over."

Is it polished? No. Is it "correct"? No. But is it perfect? I think so. It is certainly heartfelt and moving. It is music straight from the heart of one of the greats.

You can read more about that recording, and Iz, in this article from NPR: https://www.npr.org/2010/12/06/131812500/israel-kamakawiwo-ole-the-voice-of-hawaii

Top Bottom