Thread: Best Ukulele Songs

Post Best Ukulele Songs

Share your favorite ukulele song. That's my favorite one.

From the legendary Peter Moon and friends:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike $ View Post
    It's hard to find a better one than Israel Kamakawiwoʻole playing Over the Rainbow

He has a lovely voice and what he plays on the ukulele is a perfect backup to that voice. I only wish he'd taken the time to learn the words. His words make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
    He has a lovely voice and what he plays on the ukulele is a perfect backup to that voice. I only wish he'd taken the time to learn the words. His words make no sense.
    I must agree, Jim, that his "wordage" doesn't necessarily add up exactly like the original, but I've always thought that perhaps Iz was just kind of "riffing" on the song, and got a nice take during the recording despite not having the lyrics totally organized, and decided to call it a wrap, imperfections and all.

Wow, so many great ukulele songs, but here's one that caught me by surprise a couple of years ago, and always tugs at my heartstrings:

https://youtu.be/5g8PEp47iBg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Look up Lucy Wise. A good starting song is called "Wintersun".
    Thanks for the tip, I really like her songs and her ukulele playing!
    If music be the food of love, play on! -Bill Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by sweetbetty View Post
    Share your favorite ukulele song. That's my favorite one.

Welcome to the forum sweetbetty! Here's a contemporary classic:

Last edited by kkimura; 02-17-2021 at 03:27 AM.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

When I saw the title of this post, I just knew that Iz's rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" would be here. To me, it is one of the most beautiful and honest expressions of music made with the ukulele.

Based on some of the comments after that one, it occurs to me that some folks might not know the story of that recording. Basically Iz was struck with an idea and went to recording studio at 3 in the morning. According to Milan Bertosa, who worked the recording, "Then I put up some microphones, do a quick sound check, roll tape, and the first thing he does is 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' He played and sang, one take, and it was over."

Is it polished? No. Is it "correct"? No. But is it perfect? I think so. It is certainly heartfelt and moving. It is music straight from the heart of one of the greats.

You can read more about that recording, and Iz, in this article from NPR: https://www.npr.org/2010/12/06/13181...oice-of-hawaii
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano | Rebel Double Cream mango concert
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2 (special) | Kanile'a K-1 C | Bruko #6
    Anuenue UC200 Moonbird Concert | UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Thread Information