Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How has your uke playing changed since pandemic?

Is that the late Mike Lynch of Youtube? I haven’t seen those books, where do you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by NewLele View Post
    Ms Bean do you have a few top favourite songs for the baritone?

I still feel like a total beginner sometimes where I flit from one song to another, memorise it for a day or two then get distracted by something else.
    You can play any song on the baritone, as long as the stretches don't get too big. I've played some arrangements by Roger Ruthen https://pdfminstrel.wordpress.com/re...e-bari-pdfs-2/

On YouTube you can search for Abigail Flowers. I like most of the repertoire she brings. There are some more advanced arrangements she does (Georgia on My Mind), but you can slow down the pace of the video, and spend a week on it.

I also spent some time on Mr Munson's channel (MunsonMusic). He has a looooooooong baritone playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XJhYLt_lHn21x6

Quote Originally Posted by NewLele View Post
    Is that the late Mike Lynch of Youtube? I haven’t seen those books, where do you get them?
    Yes. Mike was a great resource for us. I'm very thankful for his efforts. His family carries on his work. You can go here and follow their directions: http://www.ukulelemikelynch.com/store.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike $ View Post
    My uke playing has changed a lot since the pandemic, especially because I never played before the pandemic....
    Same here. Thanks to the ukulele, I'm rediscovering the guitar.
    But I still love the uke a lot.

Thank you Ms Bean, that’s great, that’ll keep me busy. I came across Abigail Flowers when I first got my baritone but I couldn’t remember her name so I’m grateful for that prompt. I really love her teaching style

And thank you for the link about2, I’ll look at that too!

The pandemic hasn't really changed the amount of time I spend playing/practicing my uke each day. In some ways it has increased it. The outlet for my playing has changed, and in many ways my ukulele universe has expanded. Pre-pandemic, I played with two local groups once a month, played in my church worship band on Sundays, and was a music volunteer at the children's hospital where I worked for 32 years as a nurse. During the pandemic, I've been doing Zoom jams and open mic twice a week with the lovely folks from Ukulele Catskill, and joining Tiki Dave for his weekly Facebook Live & Zoom sessions. Pre-pandemic I was a very reluctant open mic player & singer. At church, I was content to blend in on my uke with the band, rarely doing an instrumental solo, and never singing a solo. Now I play and sing once a week for the Ukulele Catskill open mic, and I'm part of the 4 week solo rotation for Zoom church. I'll never be a great singer, but now I'm an average singer who's not afraid to even try and sing for people. I'm hopeful that my new found bravery will translate when I'm back in front of people in person. Fingers crossed. I have missed my music volunteer gig with the kids and families at the hospital terribly, but I'm hoping to be back there sometime this year. I've tried to work on my music repertoire for the kids/families during this "downtime" so that I'm raring to go when the time comes.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Staying in more, I started putting on a Youtube playlist and just playing along. Ear training both chords and melody has been very liberating. I can now usually find the key pretty quickly, hear the changes, and pick out the melody.Throw in a little fretboard and theory knowledge and I’m now pretty comfortable taking a solo on most basic songs and in any key. We are getting back to playing together (outside, socially distanced) now in FL and I can contribute much more, in terms of embellishments, while others are playing rhythm.

Thread Information