Painitng a "Build Your Own" Kit

FatherFlipper

Reaction score
Hello there.

I've posted the below in the Beginners section, and was recommended that I try in here as well, so here goes....

Looking for advise/clarification on painting a "Build-Your-Own" kit that I purchased online.

The kit cost about a tenner online, and came with no instructions (am guessing because it was a tenner tbf...). So. I sanded it down yesterday (lightly, came up quite well which surprised me a bit), and now looking to paint it.

Looking at various threads, it suggests using a primer first, possibly two coats, and then painting the ukulele. Three questions:

1) do I assemble the ukulele first, and then put the primer on, or primer first then assemble it?

2) if the second option, then do I use primer on the WHOLE of the ukulele (neck as well, both sides), or just the main body, and bits that will be "on show" i.e. NOT the neck where the fret-board will be glued on?

3) after primer on, is it an idea to sand it again?

Appreciate any help - from one of the responses in the original thread, I'll NOT paint the bits that are going to have glue on them, but I will happily accept any information/advice/tips.

Thanks in advance folks.

Personally, painting an ukulele sort of makes my skin crawl, but it can be done and done to good effect.

As for the approach, I would do it like any painted carpentry construction project: paint as much as you can before assembling. Tape off the parts that have to be glued like the neck to body connection and the bridge area on the top as well as the fretboard and prime and paint as usual. As for sanding, the parts should be sanded out to at least 220 before priming.

I don't paint my ukuleles but others do on this forum so maybe they can give more specific instructions.

Top Bottom