Wanna hear something funny?

ChuckBarnett

Reaction score
A friend asked me to build him a "quality" soprano ukulele!

I have built 2 tenor ukuleles!!

I should say "NO", right?

But why do I find myself tempted??!

Does your friend have a specific reason for wanting a sorprano? If your friend is looking for the sound a sorprano will produce, then it's only fair to make what your friend wants. If your friend only wants it because of it's size, maybe you can show your friend the difference in tone. If your friend is paying for the Ukulele, then you have to give the customer what they want. JMHO
Ed

It sounds to me like the "quality" is the catch. I als understand that ChuckBarnett has only made two previous ukes. I read it to mean the request is for top end and the experience level may not be there. Just my read of the text. To answer, I thinl I would take the job with a clear understanding with your friend of your experience. Who knows maybe you will turn out a Chuckavarious uke.

He likes the classic sound of the soprano. I think his idea of "quality" doesn't reach to the heights many of us know as high-end work. I like the idea of being clear with him and might build one with his preferences in mind with the understanding that It is mine unless he really likes it. No disappointment, no misunderstanding.

As long as the understanding is of "bloke mucking about in shed" level then I have never let my lack of finish level slow me down much. I might be around the three hundred mark. Do what makes you happy. Failing that, do what makes other people happy and hopefully some of that happiness will rub off on you.

As long as the understanding is of "bloke mucking about in shed" level then I have never let my lack of finish level slow me down much. I might be around the three hundred mark. Do what makes you happy. Failing that, do what makes other people happy and hopefully some of that happiness will rub off on you.

Good perspective!

Now for the how-to matter. I might try some things I've not done like traditional dovetail neck join, no binding...

Building a great sounding soprano will be more of a challenge than building a tenor uke. But you’re up to it Chuck. I’ve played your first tenor and it was quite nice in all respects. You can do it. And make sure you charge him fairly for it.

I would build 2. My thought being that I would probably get one good one out of the building process and one very good one. If you are nice, give him the very good one and keep the good one for yourself, or if you're like me, keep the very good one. He/she pays for materials and parts for both, but no additional charge for building.
I have been asked to build a tenor guitar. This is the approach I am using (though I'm not sure why I might want a tenor guitar).
Miguel

if you learn to make chords and learn how to get around the fretboard of a
I have a collection of many dozens of stringed instruments which I thought I might learn to make chords and learn how to get around their fretboards.
I have since resigned myself to the understanding that my talent and skills seriously lag behind my enthusiasm for making music.
I now restrict myself to 4 strings tuned GCEA and, though I'm not actually good, I can consider myself "not too bad".
I shall tune my tenor guitar to GCEA and nobody will ever know
Miguel

I have a collection of many dozens of stringed instruments which I thought I might learn to make chords and learn how to get around their fretboards.
I have since resigned myself to the understanding that my talent and skills seriously lag behind my enthusiasm for making music.
I now restrict myself to 4 strings tuned GCEA and, though I'm not actually good, I can consider myself "not too bad".
I shall tune my tenor guitar to GCEA and nobody will ever know
Miguel

There is a school of playing the tenor guitar that uses Nashville tuning, which is the same as the highest 4 strings on a regular guitar, which is the same as typical baritone uke tuning. This is 5 frets lower than gcea uke tuning which means if you use the same finger patterns you sound in tune, just in another key.

Top Bottom