Library Ukulele thought experiment

emba

Reaction score
At some point I’d like to donate a ukulele and pertinent accessories and books to my library. It is still very much in the planning stage.

I’m thinking a plastic or part-plastic uke like the Flight travel ukulele or a Makala Dolphin would be best. A tuner, some extra batteries for it, extra strings (and an offer to restring it for them as needed), a case, an adult learn-to-play book and a book for kids.

If you were going to do something like this, what would you include and why? Specific book titles welcome. If you’ve done this, what are your suggestions? How did it work out?

Our club, Sun City Ukulele Club has donated several ukuleles to our 2 libraries in Sun City, they're almost always checked out. I would avoid plastic, the Dolphins or Sharks would be decent choices, as well as the starter level of Kalas or Ohanas. They go out with a tuner and book.

emba,
That is wonderful!
The TBUS, about 4 years ago, donated 20 something plastic ukuleles with tuners, an instructional DVD, and a little songbook to libraries in 3 counties. The libraries needed to get more of these, and with a grant, they did, and they stay checked out so much that there are waiting lists! We had a restringing party after the patrons wore out the strings.
It sparked our accompanying beginner workshops in about a dozen libraries, going for 3 months to 12 months of the year.
Then we began Making Ukulele Music for children, in 4 libraries, for a week during the summer.
I taught in both of those, until COVID stopped us.
We have a new beginner workshop, created by none other than James Hill, and will begin with it again once we're safe from the pandemic.
You never know what donating that ukulele might start.
Kudos to you.

Check with the library on what they already have and need. A decent library system probably already has learn-to-play books for adults and kids even if they don't have instruments.

Donating money rather than buying a uke direct may be better - many uke vendors provide educational pricing that the library may be able to take advantage of. For example: https://education.kalabrand.com/pages/edu-intro

BC, my local library system had several recurring uke lesson tracks with local teachers or uke group run. The typical format was to start with a short lesson targeted at first timers and then segue into an instructor moderated sing-and-strum. Loaner ukuleles were provided at the events, but I don't think they were available for take-home.

--Rob

Last edited:
Hmm... what would be a well built, durable, easy to play Uke for library lending?

Scooter

Good thought about the library being able to get discounts I can’t.

I am quite sure they don’t have any ukulele books, because I looked at the library first when I bought myself a ukulele, and they had nothing, and when I asked, apparently not enough interest (people asking) to justify a purchase.

Our local library has ukuleles and the daily ukulele books for checkout.
Many of the ukuleles were purchased with a grant by the library.
Additionally I have donated ukuleles. Ohana has been very supportive and supplied me ukuleles at a discounted cost.
Our local ukulele group also has donated many ukuleles.

Our local library has ukuleles and the daily ukulele books for checkout.
Many of the ukuleles were purchased with a grant by the library.
Additionally I have donated ukuleles. Ohana has been very supportive and supplied me ukuleles at a discounted cost.
Our local ukulele group also has donated many ukuleles.

Do you know if the comb binding of the Daily Ukulele books has held up? I have the yellow one and I think it would be great for the library, but I do wonder about whether the plastic comb binding would last.

Include a strap. It greatly reduces holding and fretting difficulties, bad left-hand habits and frustration. So many people struggle with chord shapes and make slow progress (especially in moving up the neck) because they refuse to use a strap. Learners can get by with a thong, which works with any hourglass body, but for a libary uke, a dedicated strap would be better, not least because it can't be misplaced.

Given the low cost of ukes, what I'd rather donate to a library, what would be of much greater help to beginners, would be my time for one-on-one or group mentoring, in person or by Zoom. I'd prefer to work with older folks, because my approach is pattern-based, and adults learn better that way than children do. (Adults would also be more open to the older music I prefer to play.) The most useful stuff I've picked up I've rarely if ever seen depicted in uke tutorial books, and books seldom give you timely or sufficient answers to the urgent questions you have.

What a concept: to check out a mentor.

Checking out a mentor - that is an awesome idea! Tricky logistics maybe, but maybe not if you just had a regularly scheduled weekly time slot at the library where you would be there and available.

Do you know if the comb binding of the Daily Ukulele books has held up? I have the yellow one and I think it would be great for the library, but I do wonder about whether the plastic comb binding would last.

Using duct or gorilla tape over the binding does the trick.

I wish there was a library uke program near me, they looked at me like I was nuts when I asked. A real uke to practice on would have been very welcome as I was saving up for my first ukulele. I think you got all the basics down and to donate your time would be great as well.

Well, I would not probably donate my time. I was just engaging the previous player in their thought experiment about what they would do. I’m still pretty much on a beginner level and could only help real newbies. I have thought of trying to start a uke club to meet at the library when Covid has settled down, though.

Does anyone have beginner learn-to-play book suggestions, for either adults or kids? Something that has a cd would be best, I think, so that no Internet access is required. I find some sort of audio component is good for me to hear if I’m doing things right, though.

I have Ukulele for Dummies, and it is great but I’m not sure it would have been as good for me when I first started (information overload, not much practice for each new skill. I’ve looked at Ukulele for the Complete Ignoramus, but I’ve never read it, it just sounds like it might be good.

Top Bottom