Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baritone Laziness

Default Baritone Laziness

I have learned so of the basic chords for the baritone uke. However, when I just want to play, I jut play it like a tenor. I know if I played with a group or another person I could not get away with this. Anybody else do this or is it just me.

When it's just me playing, I do that too. However, I think it's a good mental exercise to still learn to think in baritone chords.

I have been meeting up with a friend to play my baritone. I would take a chord sheet and a capo for the occasional song where it was too complicated or for when I grew too tired to transpose.

I never learned a single baritone chord. I always play mine like a tenor. And I think it would work in a group setting since it is a perfect interval removed from the rest of the group. Of course if the group's idea of playing music is all twenty of you playing the same chords at the same time, then it wouldn't work. But if the group could allow some harmonizing then it would work.

I got my first uke (a concert) last spring then a baritone at Christmas. It’s helped me a lot having to relearn chords. I’ve realised before I was playing single chords and thinking hard about playing a ‘D’ etc whereas now I feel I’m playing shapes and patterns. Something has clicked for me!

I play all my ukes as if they are GCEA even though many aren't. When needed i transpose the music to fit the uke
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Southern Cross concert GCEA
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, B reentrant
    Jupiter #71, A, UG1

!Flukutronic!

Ah- so Im not alone! I love the tone of my Bari's. I use them as a solo instrument.

When I play the baritone like a concert it still sounds nice but it doesn’t sound right with my voice when I sing along.

I revel in the different tunings - if I don't like the baritone fingering I'll either transpose or switch instruments.

The only time I intentionally think one tuning on the other instrument is if I'm trying to drill a piece and have only the wrong one at hand.

There have been a few times where I've unintentionally switched keys in the middle of a song because I lost track of what I was playing. Almost always in a group. Oops.

If you play or have played guitar there is not too much of an adjustment. If not, there can be some mental gymnastics involved.

After a bit of time.. the question sorta becomes irrelevant, because they're all relative.

Maybe there are those who view it as playing a tenor like it's a baritone? Especially if they also play guitar.

Thread Information