Unlisted or public?

Are your Seasons videos public on Youtube?

• Public most times or always

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • I use both settings regularly

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Unlisted most times or always

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
why would you bother to record and share a song if you don't want to publicize it?

To me it is the difference between sharing it with people who understand the context and people who dont.
In this forum people understand the concept of recording non professional level music on ukulele for the challenge of it, and for the personal development.
Recording and sharing gives a purpose to practicing, publizicing exposes my musical shortcomings to people who expect professional quality stuff from people who choose to publicize their stuff. And one thing is harsh comments from strangers on the videos. I just got this clever one from someone who wrote that "it is nice that there are some people that like this kind of Music." Another thing is the thought of people who needs to take me serious at work finding videos of me playing out of time and singing out of tune. If I will present a song online that is not professional grade, can they trust the advanced calculations i do at work, without publicizing them, to be up to par?

Since your recordings are of another league than mine, I dont expect you to have the same concerns.

All of mine were private for a couple of years. Then when I felt like I had my legs under me I flipped them all to public. The only ones I don’t are when it is super rough (like the recent alphabet season when I played 26), or if I am wearing something with a work logo on it (cause that could cause a wrist slap or worse), or if I am worried about the whether it would work in context here but maybe not so much outside of this forum.

Ultimately I think how much of you that you are willing to share is up to you. Whether that be headless, puppet headed, selective or not about what is publicly linked. I’m not sure there is a “right” answer beyond what feels right for you, Mikkel.

As long as you keep sharing with all of us. :)

To me it is the difference between sharing it with people who understand the context and people who dont.
In this forum people understand the concept of recording non professional level music on ukulele for the challenge of it, and for the personal development.
Recording and sharing gives a purpose to practicing, publizicing exposes my musical shortcomings to people who expect professional quality stuff from people who choose to publicize their stuff. And one thing is harsh comments from strangers on the videos. I just got this clever one from someone who wrote that "it is nice that there are some people that like this kind of Music." Another thing is the thought of people who needs to take me serious at work finding videos of me playing out of time and singing out of tune. If I will present a song online that is not professional grade, can they trust the advanced calculations i do at work, without publicizing them, to be up to par?

Since your recordings are of another league than mine, I dont expect you to have the same concerns.

your last line Mikkel.
it's not true.
that said, and given the tiny volume of listeners we receive,
and reading now what are your legitimate and real concerns -
i feel that i understand your point more.
we all have hang ups about how good or s** we are brother.
having been youtubing now for 10 years i have read enough asshole
comments and perhaps i've developed a thicker skin.
i don't care about those anymore b/c those always will come.
i love to play music. yt has every quality of music there,
i don't believe there are expectations, but for those we place upon ourselves.
i enjoy your music very much mate and i'm not sure a fellow who enjoys playing and sharing a song on yt
would be judged the way you might fear by your work colleagues.
bottom line for me: enjoy music. enjoy playing and sharing it brother.
we all enjoy yours.
to your original question: public or private? it's up to you.
i'm not sure what else anyone can add as it seems you already are aware of your boundaries
and the reasons for them.

i keep mine public - hardly anyone watches them anyway!
but i'm still hoping for my subscriber numbers to rise from the present 116 to Taylor Swift's 41,600,000! :)

Some colleagues like what I do, some don’t. One, who I regard as a good friend, is particularly, almost disarmingly, honest about what she thinks about my music (she doesn’t like it). One of my 3 brothers hates it, the other 2 love it. Art divides opinion. Try to accept it all on this rollercoaster ride of experience and existence. Set your YT listings to whatever you’re comfortable with and enjoy the ride. :)

I tend to put songs on unlisted after a certain time just to keep my YouTube page a little cleaner, but still keep them available for somebody going to an old seasons playlist. If I'm not 100% happy with a recording it might also end up unlisted from the start. I do have a playlist that is public that has all my seasons video's in it, so if somebody really wants to find something it is there. So yes I use both settings regularly.

Some colleagues like what I do, some don’t. One, who I regard as a good friend, is particularly, almost disarmingly, honest about what she thinks about my music (she doesn’t like it). One of my 3 brothers hates it, the other 2 love it. Art divides opinion. Try to accept it all on this rollercoaster ride of experience and existence. Set your YT listings to whatever you’re comfortable with and enjoy the ride. :)

See I quite like that about your friend. Empty encouragement if you're trying to improve and develop as a musician is fairly useless. Having someone whose opinion you value tell you something isn't working is good.

I wish I had more people tell me they liked or didn't like a specific aspect of what I do, because at least that means they're engaging with it rather than just chucking up a well done because they feel they have to

See I quite like that about your friend. Empty encouragement if you're trying to improve and develop as a musician is fairly useless. Having someone whose opinion you value tell you something isn't working is good.
That would be fine if she actually listened to it... but she doesn’t! I think she heard one or two of my very first attempts after taking up the uke and assumes that everything thereafter is just as bad! :D

That would be fine if she actually listened to it... but she doesn’t! I think she heard one or two of my very first attempts after taking up the uke and assumes that everything thereafter is just as bad! :D

Ah well that's her loss then!

Having played around with various Midi drum options over the last couple weeks and getting immensely frustrated it just drives home how impressive your productions are mate

Having played around with various Midi drum options over the last couple weeks and getting immensely frustrated it just drives home how impressive your productions are mate

You might wanna look at/try the Diditech Trio+ (mind the +, its important) if you want add Drums and Bass your playing. If you buy it used, I would say that if you don't like it, you can probably sell it at the same price you bought it for (I did that with my original Trio, I have the plus now, which I like a lot, but use to little). You could even use the Trio at an open stage.

Thanks Ryan - really appreciate that! Writing drum parts for my stuff is one of my favourite things to do! :)

your last line Mikkel.
it's not true.
that said, and given the tiny volume of listeners we receive,
and reading now what are your legitimate and real concerns -
i feel that i understand your point more.
we all have hang ups about how good or s** we are brother.
having been youtubing now for 10 years i have read enough asshole
comments and perhaps i've developed a thicker skin.
i don't care about those anymore b/c those always will come.
i love to play music. yt has every quality of music there,
i don't believe there are expectations, but for those we place upon ourselves.
i enjoy your music very much mate and i'm not sure a fellow who enjoys playing and sharing a song on yt
would be judged the way you might fear by your work colleagues.
bottom line for me: enjoy music. enjoy playing and sharing it brother.
we all enjoy yours.

to your original question: public or private? it's up to you.
i'm not sure what else anyone can add as it seems you already are aware of your boundaries
and the reasons for them.

This is, more or less, what I wanted to write (aside from the 10yrs bit)

I wish I had more people tell me they liked or didn't like a specific aspect of what I do, because at least that means they're engaging with it rather than just chucking up a well done because they feel they have to

certainly i'd second this.
i sometimes share my music on FB -
then after literally a few seconds a couple of 'like' buttons will come up.
they haven't even bothered to listen to the song.

Top Bottom