Tea or coffee? What do you prefer?

RihanaFF

Reaction score
Over the years I've graduated from being a predominantly tea drinker to drinking mainly coffee. I still have my cup of tea first thing in the morning after waking up though. Making tea in years gone by was a sort of ritual. The kettle had to be poured into the teapot (previously warmed of course), and right at the point of boiling. Then a quick stir and an allowance of time for brewing depending on your liking of what strength you prefer. Always pour the milk in first and then a tea strainer placed over the tea cup (not mug). The first pour was always desirable when pouring more than one cup. Now it's a tea bag in a mug which is quickly attacked by a spoon to squash out the tea, and then the milk. Not quite the same.

But drinking coffee is now a real experience and has progressed from a mug of instant to buying my coffee beans raw and home roasting to my own preferred recipe I remade from the one from perfectbrew.

Last edited:
Over the years I've graduated from being a predominantly tea drinker to drinking mainly coffee. I still have my cup of tea first thing in the morning after waking up though. Making tea in years gone by was a sort of ritual. The kettle had to be poured into the teapot (previously warmed of course), and right at the point of boiling. Then a quick stir and an allowance of time for brewing depending on your liking of what strength you prefer. Always pour the milk in first and then a tea strainer placed over the tea cup (not mug). The first pour was always desirable when pouring more than one cup. Now it's a tea bag in a mug which is quickly attacked by a spoon to squash out the tea, and then the milk. Not quite the same.

But drinking coffee is now a real experience and has progressed from a mug of instant to buying my coffee beans raw and home roasting to my own preferred recipe.

I didn't start drinking coffee till I was in my 40s. I could never get the milk/sugar combination right, so I drink it black. I've been drinking tea all my life, both black and herb, no milk or sugar.

I didn't start drinking coffee till I was in my 40s. I could never get the milk/sugar combination right, so I drink it black. I've been drinking tea all my life, both black and herb, no milk or sugar.

hey that's me. Got tired of getting it just right, so black it is.

I worked at Starbucks for over a decade, and I've become somewhat of a coffee snob. If it is a good cofee, I can add non-fat milk or a drop of heavy cream, no sugar. if it is a great coffee, I drink it black. I (at least before Covid) patronized lots of indie coffee shops, and many have tremendous brews, and some are way overrated. I had one indie brewer from Syracuse berate me for drinking Starbucks, then he poured me a cup of what should have been a tremendous Indonesian coffee... and it was watery, had no body, and was screaming for something to make it palatable. When he proudly told me that I should be drinking that, "not that burned Starbucks crap", I smiled, poured it on the ground, and told him, "I'm not a fan of brown water. Come see me when you have something with flavor."

When Starbucks came out with Blonde Roast, it reminded me of why I used to use milk and sugar in my coffee - to give it flavor. But it works for a lot of people.

So I don't tell people that they like crappy coffee, because we all have different tastes. (I have never had a french roast that I thought was palatable, regardless of the source.)

As for tea, I really really like Vanilla Roobois, and some of the similar types. Actual tea I like a good White Tea, or a moderately brewed Assam or one of the black dragons. Most green teas I've had ended up over steeped, and tasted too much like lawn clippings.

Not that I have opinions or anything...

I'm 71 and never drank hot coffee or tea, just wasn't a hot drinker. Recently I've been reading that a couple of cups of coffee a day is good for you, especially if you have gaul stones, which I do, so I got a k-cup machine and a couple of jars of different coffees instead of the k-cups because my machine came with a use your own coffee cup. When I wake up, I turn on my computer, then go to the kitchen and put a little honey or dark maple syrup in the mug first, then touch the 10oz button, then take it to my computer. I check my mail, my bank account, this site, two bass forums and the leader of my uke group's Facebook page. By the time I'm done, I finished the coffee.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers forums and my uke group leader's Facebook page. By the time I get through that, I've finished the coffee.

Last edited:
Black coffee in the AM, and teas in the PM. If you have to put something in coffee to make it better, it wasn't good to begin with. Dunkin' is my staple.

Teas vary, and I often add honey*. I've settled in with Farmer Brothers brand for an all around good cup. Their caf and defcafs are equally good. Evenings, it's (Lipton or Bigelow) Green or Green decaf.

*Although it does make the tea cloudy. Cane sugar does not.

In the summertime we drink iced Luzianne by the gallon. Gotta love those old pickle jars!

Last edited:
Coffee in the morning (don't talk to me until I'm on my second cup) and when at work a cup of tea in the afternoon. The last few years I have generally stopped drinking caffeine at night (unless I am out for dinner) to help my sleeping. Now at night I occasionally have a decaf which I used to regard as pointless!

One of the best things I ever did was stop drinking instant coffee. Tastes even more gawdawful if you go back to it now. I've experimented with various coffee makers at home and now I have a nespresso. Makes a good coffee and the pods are
recyclable.

The only thing better than coffee is more coffee :)
Tea in the afternoon though, especially when it is cold out.

The firm exception is mountain tours in winter, then a thermos of tea is mandatory with milk and sugar.

Vietnamese Iced Coffee & Chicory made with Cafe Du Monde in a Vietnamese Coffee Maker, with Sweetened Condensed Milk

Or Iced Ceylon or similar Black Tea with only raw Sugar

Or half Black Tea and half Coffee, iced with Sugar or Sweetened Condensed Milk

Or English Breakfast Tea with Raw Sugar and Soy milk

Or Taiwanese black tea with Boba, Soy Milk and Malted Ovaltine

On work days early in the mornings tea from a tea bag does the job. On leisurely weekend morning I will enjoy fresh hand ground and French pressed coffee. In the evenings I sometimes drink whole leaf or green teas.

A Hawaiian roast K-cup, black no sugar in the morning and a Korean roasted barley tea in the evening for me.

I drink black coffee in the morning, green tea in the afternoon, and sparkling water in the evening. Guess that makes me a heavy drinker! :)

Growing up in Nova Scotia, I learned to drink tea at an early age, and just never stopped. Coffee doesn’t appeal to me. Never has. And I don’t like chocolate either. Color me weird. :)

Definitely a tea drinker too. I brew mine in a pot as well like OP. Sometimes some brown sugar in, occasionally some almond milk (it doesn't cut tannins the way regular milk does though).
I have a ridiculous number of teas I kind of rotate through.
Like one of the posters, I switch to sparkling or regular water later in the afternoon/evening or I don't sleep well.
Love the smell of coffee, but never got a taste for it.

Coffee for me. I nerd out on weighing the beans, using a conical burr grinder, 200 degree coffee maker or weighing the water into a drip brew and pre-infusing. Working from home, I'm now weighing the amount of milk and preheating it too so it's not too diluted/cooled. It's hard to find a decent decaf, so lately I have a cup of herbal tea in the evening.

The biggest "ah-ha" moment I had was when I realized what a huge difference it makes after cleaning the carafe/filter basket/grinder. Straight from bitter to oh-so-smooth.

I'm a coffee drinker, don't like anything fancy, but I do cold brew. I do drink Throat Coat tea when I sing.

One quart of Dark Colombian throughout the morning and then done for the day. The rare sore throat may get some tea with honey and lemon in addition to my morning coffee fix.

This followup post includes a statement about bodily functions, stop here if it will make you uncomfortable. After never drinking coffee, then doing so last week, I began having incontinence in the middle of the night. I found this online:

"Caffeine irritates the bladder and can make incontinence worse, carbonated drinks, tea, green tea, energy drinks and hot chocolate will also contain caffeine. Coffee has the biggest effect, so stop drinking it, or switch to decaffeinated coffee, and/or replace them with water and herbal or fruit teas."

Going to stick to decaf and see what happens.

Last edited:
Lifelong tea drinker. black tea until about 3 pm. If loose tea, then Earl Grey from Full Leaf Tea Co. If teabags (usually when at work), then Tetley British Blend.

Then, I switch to a loose leaf infusion from Full Leaf Tea Co. of organic blood orange rooibos and drink that until bedtime.

Never use milk in tea, mostly because I hate milk. I use saccharine to sweeten. I live with a diabetic and now I prefer it to sugar or honey, which I used to use.

Top Bottom