Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for thicker Flourocarbon strings

Default Recommendation for thicker Flourocarbon strings

Hi everyone,

I am looking for recommendation on any fluorocarbon strings that are thicker. My limited knowledge on strings have always thought that they are very similar in diameter. I only have experience with the worth mediums and living water strings. Mainly because I have no access to many brands of strings where I live. I have always liked the sound of fluorocarbon strings. I only wished it were a little thicker as I find that it is easier to fret with a fatter string. I know worth makes thicker ones but they seem to be hard to find for me. So my only option is to buy online and am hoping that anyone can recommend some fatter strings that sound close to living waters. I only discovered this after watching a video on strings by SUS in the UK. Not looking for Nylon or nyglut at the moment. Thank you.
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Anuenue Concert Banjolele
    Kolaoha Opio Concert Longneck
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday Concert
    Cocobolo Concert
    Romero Creations Baritone B6

Worth strings have a great variety. Take a look ate their chart for comparison

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

If not Worth FAT, then UkeLogic hard tension strings seem a bit fatter than most

String specs.JPG
    John

One option on smaller ukes would be to use tenor strings

I thought that the appeal of fluorocarbon strings was to get high tension sound with thin strings. You can get a variety of string diameter if you go to guitar string brands and then put together custom set from their single string offerings. But note that with thicker strings you also increase tension so your sound and playing experience will not be equivalent to thin strings.

An excellent choice are also Bytown Ukulele Gone Fishin strings that are available as custom sets for most purposes as well as single strings in nine thickness choices:
    "Gone Fishin' Fluorocarbon Strings – Bytown Instruments" https://www.bytowninstruments.com/co...kulele-strings
    Last edited by merlin666; 02-20-2021 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Try Savarez Alliance 540 Series. Been discussed a few times, but not a common string outside of custom sets. Personally, I've prefer the Cristal Trebles (not flourocarbon) recently, but strung Alliance for years, and still would.

Their diameter is very similar to D'Addario T2 Titanium 46 series Trebles, which I also string on occasion, depending on the build, and player.

I've tried some newer Flourocarbon sets (Worths are too thin and plinky, and doesn't drive soundboards enough, for my instruments), but always go back to Savarez. Again, not a common string - I'd stay away from their "ukulele" string sets.

Be prepared, you'll more than likely have to setup your instrument again, especially having the nut slots recut, and saddle redone if its compensated.
    Are these guitar strings? Thanks
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Cocobolo Concert

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    If not Worth FAT, then UkeLogic hard tension strings seem a bit fatter than most

String specs.JPG

Thanks for the table. Very useful indeed.
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Cocobolo Concert

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    An excellent choice are also Bytown Ukulele Gone Fishin strings that are available as custom sets for most purposes as well as single strings in nine thickness choices:
    "Gone Fishin' Fluorocarbon Strings – Bytown Instruments" https://www.bytowninstruments.com/co...kulele-strings
    Will check these out. Thanks
    Pono Acacia Tenor
    Pono Mahogany Concert
    Pono Mahogany Soprano
    Cocobolo Concert

Savarez also makes actual ukulele string sets and their fluorocarbon strings are certainly thicker than most others:
    https://www.savarez.com/ukul%C3%A9l%...o-concert-140r
    https://www.savarez.com/ukul%C3%A9l%C3%A9-tenor-150r

They're not massively thick, maybe somewhere between regular fluorocarbons and nylguts in terms of gauge, but they should feel more comfortable if you're after thicker fluorocarbons. Other good alternatives are the high tension or fat variants of other brands that have already been mentioned, like Worth or Uke Logic.

Just be aware that the string tension will indeed be higher and the tone will be affected as well. I find that the sound thicker fluorocarbons produce is also "thicker", or in other words sounds deeper and has less of that typical fluorocarbon brightness. So in the end, they might not give you the sound you're after but I guess it's still worth a try.

Thread Information