Recommendation for thicker Flourocarbon strings

Contrails

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for recommendation on any fluorocarbon strings that are thicker. My limited knowledge on strings have always thought that they are very similar in diameter. I only have experience with the worth mediums and living water strings. Mainly because I have no access to many brands of strings where I live. I have always liked the sound of fluorocarbon strings. I only wished it were a little thicker as I find that it is easier to fret with a fatter string. I know worth makes thicker ones but they seem to be hard to find for me. So my only option is to buy online and am hoping that anyone can recommend some fatter strings that sound close to living waters. I only discovered this after watching a video on strings by SUS in the UK. Not looking for Nylon or nyglut at the moment. Thank you.

One option on smaller ukes would be to use tenor strings

I thought that the appeal of fluorocarbon strings was to get high tension sound with thin strings. You can get a variety of string diameter if you go to guitar string brands and then put together custom set from their single string offerings. But note that with thicker strings you also increase tension so your sound and playing experience will not be equivalent to thin strings.

Try Savarez Alliance 540 Series. Been discussed a few times, but not a common string outside of custom sets. Personally, I've prefer the Cristal Trebles (not flourocarbon) recently, but strung Alliance for years, and still would.

Their diameter is very similar to D'Addario T2 Titanium 46 series Trebles, which I also string on occasion, depending on the build, and player.

I've tried some newer Flourocarbon sets (Worths are too thin and plinky, and doesn't drive soundboards enough, for my instruments), but always go back to Savarez. Again, not a common string - I'd stay away from their "ukulele" string sets.

Be prepared, you'll more than likely have to setup your instrument again, especially having the nut slots recut, and saddle redone if its compensated.

Are these guitar strings? Thanks

Savarez also makes actual ukulele string sets and their fluorocarbon strings are certainly thicker than most others:
https://www.savarez.com/ukulélé-soprano-concert-140r
https://www.savarez.com/ukulélé-tenor-150r

They're not massively thick, maybe somewhere between regular fluorocarbons and nylguts in terms of gauge, but they should feel more comfortable if you're after thicker fluorocarbons. Other good alternatives are the high tension or fat variants of other brands that have already been mentioned, like Worth or Uke Logic.

Just be aware that the string tension will indeed be higher and the tone will be affected as well. I find that the sound thicker fluorocarbons produce is also "thicker", or in other words sounds deeper and has less of that typical fluorocarbon brightness. So in the end, they might not give you the sound you're after but I guess it's still worth a try.

As Dohle said above anytime you increase diameter you increase tension. Soprano are the smallest diameter, then concert then tenor. Baritone are thicker still but they are tuned down to DGBE so must be thicker and that is not apples to apples.

Nylon strings are larger in diameter. I know you asked about florocarbon but nylon a worth a shot. Jake uses nothing but D’Addario nylon.

Like fluorocarbon, but want thicker?

That's basically nylon strings :D
D'addario Pro Arte nylons are a great choice.

I generally dislike fluorocarbon due to their relative thin-ness.
Nylons have good thickness without too much tension.

Thanks guys. Now that I know some Brand’s of flourocarbons are thicker I will try them out. My tolerance for higher string tension is probably higher than what some ukes can take. I played acoustic guitar when I was much much younger. These days high tension and skinny strings are not my favourite.

Top Bottom