Season 471 - Click and wind on

Here's an ukulele arrangement of Brian Keane's "Ansel's Theme" from the soundtrack to the PBS documentary about the photographer Ansel Adams. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/ansel/

For tenor ukulele, with overdubs of Ashbory Ubass and melody tenor ukulele, which we hear processed with the ElectroHarmonix Mel9 mellotron pedal.

Thanks for hosting, Steve!

The end of day one (in this time zone, at least), and nine entries from nine Seasonistas - a wonderful start. How some of you manage to do a multi-tracked entry on day one is beyond me. It normally takes me until Monday to pick a song, let alone record it perfectly five times.

Anyway, thanks all.

Oh, did I mention there's a prize? Well, there is. And the winner will be picked at random, because I hate having to choose a favourite. All the more reason to focus on getting an entry in. Don't be negative. (See what I did there?)

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh if there is anything more thrilling than ukuleles, surely it has to be cameras?! i hope more people share pics of their old or indeed current camera kit!

ok here is a homemade song for the season, about painting from a photograph, it's not as good/fun/rainy as painting outside, but then again i can't remember the last time i had to grab my art stuff and make a quick escape from an alarmingly boisterous swarm of bees, indoors...

This is a song by Lake Street Dive. Really, it was too much song for my vocal cords to cash, but c'est la vie.

thank you for this week Steve.
an original song for the season.
(just re-done w/ a couple of subtle add-ons)

Last edited:
This one is multiple layers of problematic nowadays but it's still damn catchy and fun, if a little tricky to play

Cheers for hosting this one Steve. Here's a bash at 'Zoom' by Fat Larry's Band ........

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh if there is anything more thrilling than ukuleles, surely it has to be cameras?! i hope more people share pics of their old or indeed current camera kit!

Well, here is my current (and also old) camera kit.

IMG_20210222_125206340.jpg

Back row - Rolleicord (early 60s), a tiny Box Tengor (1937-ish), Agfa Isolette II (probably mid-50s)
Front row - Kiev 4a (1968), Olympus XA4 (1980s), Contax IIa (1951-ish)

All in good working order, and perched on a my desert island photographic book selection.

Nice camera collection, Steve! My husband has an old Rolleiflex. I think they're lovely to look at as well as to use. Anyway, this is my first effort for the week ... a song from 1929, which was actually the first song I thought of when I saw your theme (I must be SO old!) The handsome chap in the photos is John Gilbert, who was unable to make the transition to "Talkies" because he had a squeaky little voice, completely at odds with his screen persona.

Cameras are all packed away again, so it's out with the uke, and this one from Blondie.

I'm never really sure how tenuous a link I can get away with, but here's one that mentions a barber showing photographs in line one, so let's see if that works. Mind, I suspect no barber would want to show off a photo of my head right now.

I don't think I've tried doing a Beatles song before. I didn't have a piccolo trumpet handy, and it's not as if I could play it anyway, so instead I've added a bit of rudimentary tuneless recorder at the end.

I've reorganised my "lab" a bit, and I thought I'd see what would happen if I tried playing while standing up. I think the most obvious effect is that you can't hear the squeaky chair on percussion any more.

I think that makes 17 songs from 15 Seasonistas, pretty good going in 36 hours. At the start I had a small list of songs in my head which I was expecting, and I think they have all been done except one (which I did at the Saturday zoom session, so anyone there knows which one). But I have also been impressed by your song-hunting skills, finding photo related references in all sorts of songs I had not thought of.

Looking forward to being exposed to many many more...

I’m surprised this wasn’t done earlier. Was this from the open mic, Steve?

Anyway, George and Ringo did some fine collaborations without the other lads.

Natalie Wood by Peterborough, Ontario singer/songwriter Cris Cuddy

"Got a picture of a girl, never gonna fall for me."

Natalie Wood.jpg

Natalie Wood & Steve Mcqueen.jpg

Attachments

• Natalie Wood.jpg
    Natalie Wood.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Don't think I have seen one of these before, but I found lots of info on them here. Yours is about 70 years old. Dare I ask when it last had a film in it?

i'd say it would have been the late 60's early 70's
i may have used it when i did some developing and processing (enlarging and printing) with dad's help when in high school
dad's looks like a Diax I from that information

Last edited:
My third and last for the week. Liz has already posted a great version of this, but she encouraged others to do it anyway in the youtube comments! So I have had a go:

The first verse felt odd to sing, what with me working in education and all that, so I promise I don't really mean it :).

Top Bottom