Season 471 - Click and wind on

there's a SOTU facebook group?

There is - not as active as this place, but things do occasionally appear in there. Also useful for the odd times when UU isn't available (or Joko is locked out).

Right, I have caught up again.

I think some people have hit the three song limit, and as I have a few empty-ish days ahead of me, I hereby declare that rule well and truly breakable - do as many as you want.

This is my version of Ed Sheeran's song Photograph.

This song was inspired by the photograph that serves as the frontispiece to the video. It's of Annie Murray, who as a young lass left her job as a nurse in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary to join the International Brigades fighting the forces which had carried out General Franco's coup d'etat against the legitimate democratically elected Spanish Republican Government. She served as a nurse near the front and later in Barcelona where she was one of the last to leave as the city fell to Franco. Combatants in the International Brigades had been retired at the end of 1938 in a non-intervention deal that Hitler and Mussolini immediately just pissed on. Once again the European so-called democracies had failed a people trying to maintain their democracy against terrible odds; just as the EU has let down Catalonia since 2017 by refusing to condemn Spain for the repression it has imposed on the Catalans since 2017.

Here is:

Last edited:
Portraits hung in empty halls
Frameless heads on nameless walls...................

So what’s the best way to follow a Depeche Mode cover? With another Depeche Mode cover, of course - an album track from their second LP. You know how a photograph can make you feel happy and sad at the same time? :) :(

Tenor and baritone uke in the mix here, with some added keyboard bass, pads and rhythm - a bit slower than the original.

Joko recorded the sounds of the pots and pans from his apartment in Myanmar
+ we made this.
pictures the generals would rather you didn't see.

Song about an old photo frame - "Vana pildiraam" (1981) by Priit Pihlap and Juhan Sutt

This happens when the link is clicked
View attachment 132589

I can see it all OK, but I have just noticed that it says "Hidden - Only members can find this group", and there is a big "Invite" button at the top of the page. So can I invite you? Or does it have to be some sort of Admin person?

[a few minutes later] It looks as if I can only invite my Facebook friends to join the SOTU page.

Last edited:
If you listened to Loudon's second song, Men, and, especially if you are also a guitar player, you may have noticed that he used a Shubb capo to cover the first five strings at the second fret, making the tuning EBEAC#F#. He then uses D shapes which sound as E shapes and allows him to play the 6th string open, similar to drop D tuning.
My apologies to anyone who wants to stick to ukulele topics.

Good observation, Jim.

I love both these songs. I know them from LWIII's live album, "So Damn Happy." It is so damn good.

Here is my take on Tom Waits "Picture in a Frame", as promised :)

I think I by accident didn't turn the video on for the ukulele take that I used, so I put in a video from a different take, which shows. And also the framing didn't manage to get the illusion of two people in the same room. Well, you can't have it all, still put in the video to showcase the instruments. I hope you will give it a listen.

I can see it all OK, but I have just noticed that it says "Hidden - Only members can find this group", and there is a big "Invite" button at the top of the page. So can I invite you? Or does it have to be some sort of Admin person?

[a few minutes later] It looks as if I can only invite my Facebook friends to join the SOTU page.

My name is Eskimo Finley on facebook. I would not mind and invite and a new friend
(I don't know anymore why I never use my real name online, before you ask - probably had a lot to do with early 20s paranoia)

Is there a thread about what video editing software works well? I used an online one for this week, and am not particularly happy with the results.
Looking for tips - PC based, not Mac.

Is there a thread about what video editing software works well? I used an online one for this week, and am not particularly happy with the results.
Looking for tips - PC based, not Mac.

There is the Audio/Video subforum in the Music Related part of the forum, where there are lots of helpful people I am sure. Not that there is not a lot of advice to get right here in the Seasons :)
A lot depends what you are looking for in the software.

I record using the Reaper DAW, and it supports video editing right there in the music editing software. It is also one of the cheaper DAW's at around $50. One time pay, No subscribtion. It works pretty well for me.

My desktop is old enough to have Windows Movie Maker on it, since I upgraded it to windows 10 from a previous version. Movie Maker cant do much, but it is stable and renders in good quality.

I tried out some free editors. OpenShot was VERY unstable on windows last time I tried it. ShotCut Video Editor was also too unstable for my taste, chrashes every now and then, and the render quality was not consistent. I also tried using Blender for video editing. It is designed for animation, but you can edit video in it. It was quite cumbersome to learn, a lot of difficult processes, but it was stable and got the job done.
There are free software that is state of the art if you take the time to learn it, but that can be a steep curve. I never tried the most advanced ones.

I did some research before discovering that Reaper would fullfill both my audio and video needs, trying to find out which affordable payed video editor was most recommended. I believe that PowerDirector is a strong contender. I also think that some other seasons participants use PowerDirector in some form.

Also a lot of people like to edit on their phone with various apps.

Last edited:
I was feeling in a country mood yesterday and came across a pair of songs that fit this theme perfectly, both by Brad Paisley. tbh, I've never been a BP fan. He's just been under my radar since I didn't follow country music until recently. Now, I'm fan. This man is definitely one of my my generation, and you can see it in his songs. This 2017 release is about as 21st century as you can get, but the next, or the previous, from his debut release in 1997 talks about having a roll of film developed...

And in other news, police in YGN have started opening fire on protesters and the demonstrations have escalated to a new level of violence. I'm staying home today.

Top Bottom