Season 471 - Click and wind on

YorkSteve

Still strummin'
UU VIP
Reaction score

Season 471 - Click and wind on

When I'm not strumming on a ukulele, I can often be found tinkering with a camera, usually one that's older than myself.

So this week's theme is photography, and anything related to it - any song which mentions (in the title or the lyrics) photos, pictures, cameras, exposure (!), film, etc etc - you get the idea.

All of the usual rules apply -
Newly recorded songs only.
Ukulele to the fore, but overdubs allowed.
Fresh compositions very welcome.
As many songs as you like.
Starts 00:01 Sunday 21st, Hawaii time, ends 23:59 Sunday 28th

The playlist is here

Last edited:
That's a clever title and a great idea, Steve! (I had completely forgotten how you had to wind the film on between shots!)

Good theme Steve! Here's one of my favourite Richard Thompson's. An insecure man searching through his girlfriend's drawers (so to speak...) and comes across her photographs of her past boyfriends- "the life she lived before".

Last edited:
While these days my photography is digital, using my phone, there was a time when I had a darkroom and spent a lot of time with film. I still have two Miranda SLRs with interchangeable lenses in my basement with the trays, contact box and enlarger.
Miranda SLRs.jpg

I always envied folks with Nikon Fs.

The first song that came into my head when I saw Steve's title was Grit Laskin's The Photographers, a double entendre song that has been covered by Pete Seeger. Grit is a Toronto singer/ songwriter/ multi-instrumentalist/ luthier who plays both solo and with the group Friends Of Fiddler's Green.

Grit2011.jpg
Here's Grit at the Shelter Valley Folk Festival.

Grit Headstock.jpg Grit lasken OM.jpg
A couple of examples of Grit's luthiery.

This tune is not an example of ukulele wizardry, But I love it.

Last edited:
We are off to a flying start. I am particularly taken with Jim's recording, which manages to mention almost every brand of camera, but which might not get played on daytime radio. Excellent.

The photographs in this one are metaphorical, but that does make them easier to develop. Also you're less likely to run out of film.

There seems to be thousands of amateur covers of this on youtube, so I guess one more won't do any harm.

Hey, Steve!

Great theme, cheers for hosting!

I didn't have time to get anything together for last week so I've dived straight in here with the very first song that sprang to mind. I've chucked some melodica and harmonica at it. Hopefully they'll stick...

I'm currently listening to BBC 6 Music, where there is a programme on at the minute celebrating the anniversary of the first instant camera, which was apparently introduced today in 1947. So I'm hearing lots of camera themed songs this afternoon on the radio as well as in this thread!

I've also just learned that the inventor of the instant camera, and founder of Polaroid, was called Edwin. Clearly a sound fellow.

This is a song by a Belgian band called de Nieuwe Snaar (the New String) and it is the De Fotografie (The Photography).

English Lyrics are in the Youtube Description.

I was hoping you'd do this one, Wim. I had the CD in my hands earlier today. Looking forward to hearing your version ;-)

Top Bottom