Which U Bass Should I Get?

spirittoo

Reaction score
At those prices, get both. I have seven Hadean bass ukes, acoustic and solid body.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Apples and oranges. I prefer acoustics because I like to just pick it up and jam without plugging in, and you can't do that on the solid-body. Even so, both will sound better amplified, and you'll need an amp to play either with somebody else.

I like that the solid-body is a bit longer scale.

Aesthetics are completely subjective. Which I like the looks of bears no relation to which you'd prefer. I have basses similar to both in different colors. I play the acoustic significantly more often than the solid body.

Both would be improved by losing the frets and adding another string, but then we're adding bananas to our apples and oranges!

The one with the f-holes will sound more like an upright bass.
The solid-body will sound more like an electric bass guitar.
Both of these will need an amplifier, preferably a bass amp.

An acoustic bass can be played with or without an amp.

I sure hope they (Rondo) come out with a tobacco sunburst version of the Hadean solid body long scale.

I'll be on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

~W

Last edited:
I would respectfully ask that you not buy off Amazon. Please support a real musical instrument dealer. There are plenty of them out there, they need us, we need them.
Thanks, happy hunting!

I like the f-holes and would get an acoustic myself, unless I was in a band.

Also Nickie: UnHelpful Activist Thread Hijack alert. There is a new posting button for announcing your purchasing preferences. If you are really trying to be helpful, then share links for the items comparably priced from stores on your Guaranteed to Have Never Done Anything Wrong List. Also, what is wrong with Rondo music selling stuff on Amazon? What do have against Rondo selling on the internet?

I would respectfully ask that you not buy off Amazon. Please support a real musical instrument dealer. There are plenty of them out there, they need us, we need them. Thanks, happy hunting!

The ones listed on Amazon are sold and shipped by Rondo in New Hampshire.

I would respectfully ask that you not buy off Amazon. Please support a real musical instrument dealer. There are plenty of them out there, they need us, we need them.
Thanks, happy hunting!

None of the music stores online sells them at the price on Amazon. Sorry.

At those prices, get both. I have seven Hadean bass ukes, acoustic and solid body.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 38)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Wellsir ... after pre ordering two electric ukus I can't only get one. Beside I don't have a bass amp. Didn't know a guitar amp and bass amp were different.

Having owned several iterations of these 'bass ukuleles', I prefer the solid body variants.

The solid body variants tend to have better sustain when plugged in.

You're going to plug them into amps for any real practical sound; hence might as well stick to the one that sounds better when plugged in.

The acoustic ones have their benefit for sure. But I like to use mine like a conventional solid bass, hence the sustain is helpful.

I recently got one of these. I don't know whether they're widely available in the U.S. though
https://mahaloukuleles.com/ukulele-series/bass-series-2/bass-series-solid-body-electric/

Wellsir ... I decided to go with the f hole U bass, since it is cheaper and the manufacturer is selling it for $180 and I got it for $140 with tax and shipping. Looking forward to learn on it. If I really like it I will consider getting the solid eventually. but I guess I will have to get a bass amp too which can be $100 or more. :music::nana:

Wellsir ... after pre ordering two electric ukus I can't only get one. Beside I don't have a bass amp. Didn't know a guitar amp and bass amp were different.

Me either. I figured an amp was an amp. I just wish the basses were a little smaller. They look like all kinds of fun.

Me either. I figured an amp was an amp. I just wish the basses were a little smaller. They look like all kinds of fun.

You mean a bass uke is not small enough? I played rhythm guitar for almost 50 years and was often told I should play bass because I have good rhythm and feel, but I didn't want to be encumbered a large and heavy electric bass, forget a stand up bass. Then a year after I joined a seniors ukulele group, the asked if anyone would like to take up the bass. I looked around and discovered bass ukes and even mini electric bass guitars and went for it. I now have 28 from 20.5" to 24" scale and find them to be very comfortable.

Top Bottom