Noah 8 String Concert - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Interestingly, the original Martin taropatches were 15 inch scale. They later began making it with 4 strings, which became the concert uke.

That's very interesting! Thanks!

That is a very cool uke and I am glad to hear that it sounds pleasing which I did not expect with the included strings. The GHS Liliu are for tenor scale so tension with thick strings is likely high. On concert scale a better bet may be taropatch tuning without octave strings, just two regular concert sets. But it seems Noah pulled it off with octave strings.

I must admit I am not up to par on 8 string sets. It does sound nice though. Still not convinced by the 'feel' or the wound string, but... all easily changed. As many people will.

Baz, I love your comment that some songs don't work with 8 strings and some songs do. Any examples of the songs that sound good with an 8 string instrument?

Baz, I love your comment that some songs don't work with 8 strings and some songs do. Any examples of the songs that sound good with an 8 string instrument?

That's going to be highly subjective, but I am finding stuff from The Byrds (Tamborine Man?), Creedence Clearwater Revival, McGuinness Flint and the like come to mind.

When I used to gig we used to play Over The Hill by John Martyn and it was really uplifted by one of the uke players using an 8 string.

Some David Bowie will be a rich seam too - basically think of music where you know someone is using a 12 string guitar - will likely work for the same reason.

Top Bottom