The Wind and Sun - Jim Beloff

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I ran across this one by Jim Beloff, who is associated with Magic Fluke instruments. He put out a new album last year, with this as the title track. According to the writeup, he plays a Fluke concert and a 50s Martin baritone on the album, with bari on this track. A smooth jazzy tune, with cool harp. A couple of the songs were co-written with uke legend Herb “Ohta-san” Ohta.

To me, Jim's vocals sound very much like James Taylor. I've gotta listen to the rest, good stuff. There's a link to buy/download the album.

https://jimbeloff.bandcamp.com/album/the-wind-and-sun

Last edited:
There was another project a number of years ago where he collaborated with Herb Ohta. Ohta writes the music and Jim adds lyrics.

With all of his books and resources, his collaboration with brother in law Dale Webb to create the flukes and fleas, fleamarketmusic.com, workshops and concerts, Jim has done so much for the popularity of the uke. A handful of years back that website was a go-to place for the forum, marketplace, online store, etc. At the time those instruments came out, it was hard to find decent instruments that were playable, sounded good and were in tune. The fluke/flea instruments were, and still are a good choice if one wants something that you can buy with no worries.

And yes, I always thought he had a similar vocal quality and laid back style that was reminiscent of James Taylor.

Wow, I definitely got a James Taylor vibe from Jim Beloff’s recording. My very first ukulele was a Fluke, which now seems to be on permanent loan to my next-door neighbor. :) And I love my “yellow” and “blue” books (as Jim’s two ‘Daily Ukulele’ books are often called), so I was already a big fan of his. Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to hear him sing. Thanks for sharing this with us, John!

Top Bottom