Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor Firefly vs Outdoor (replacing Maxitone Bruno leftie)

Default Tenor Firefly vs Outdoor (replacing Maxitone Bruno leftie)

I'm going from an old, beat up soprano Maxitone to a tenor and these two are my contenders. I only play acoustic so need a decent volume but comfort is very nice. Would really like to cover a range of styles from plunky to warm-ish. I also have first-year-model Flea holding strong after re-gluing bridge a couple of times.

I'd get the geared tuners so the Firefly is double the price. The Outdoor appeals in that I often take these camping (cold and warm). I can't really find ANY reviews of the Outdoor Banjolele however. I don't actually think a well made multi-ply maple wood pot and neck with steel truss would have trouble anyways.

Also, I don't really think there is any difference with a leftie (I just switched mine) - unlike my upright bass (jeez - talk about limited options).
    Last edited by warx; 02-21-2021 at 02:13 PM.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

Not sure the question is clear. You want either a tenor Firefly banjo ukulele or an tenor Outdoor ukulele?? I say they are likely to have different sounds. Of course the Firefly is a banjo--plenty of sound.

Here are few reviews of the Outdoor Uke:

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2020/02/...or-review.html

https://liveukulele.com/reviews/outdoor-tenor/

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-Tenor-Ukulele

See what your budget is. Watch reviews and see what sound you like.

Buy.....Enjoy!

Sorry - I meant the Outdoor Banjolele. I want a more reliable banjo ukulele than the Maxitone which actually sounds OK - just I seem to be nursing it quite a bit at its age.

I'm getting the impression the Outdoor Banjolele is not popular and probably not as good a instrument overall besides its ruggedness. I guess I've been happy with Magic Fluke gear so should probably stick with it. I will be driving through Bend (home of Outdoor) in a few weeks so perhaps I could check them out in person before making a decision (maybe not possible in these times).

Or - I open up to other brands (pretty limited tenor choices), buy a Concert, or maybe learn to love the calf-skin on the Maxitone If portability and camping comfort were not an issue I think I'd like the Concert Deering.

This guy seems to like the Outdoor banjolele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaDBdq_0-s

Thanks! - that is a pretty glowing review. It answers a few questions too - it's loud and not too heavy. Well, I think since it's a good price point and will definitely be the best in my environments (Lake Tahoe to San Diego) I think I'll give it a shot first.

EDIT: ordered the clear gold Outdoor...
    Last edited by warx; 02-22-2021 at 07:10 AM.

I'm actually thinking about getting one myself. I have the outdoor tenor and the Duke 10 and the Duke is suffering from fret sprout. I'd rather have the convenience of the outdoor for something that's not going to be a regular player, just to have for fun.

Yup - I think the play anywhere aspect won. I want something that sounds decent, projects well, that I'm not worrying about and is fun! If I need something finer sounding - then that is a different criteria for the next purchase.

I bought one of the Firefly Tenor Banjo Ukes the first year they were available, and have really enjoyed it. Just the other day I replaced the Aquila banjo uke strings with Living Waters and it now sounds even better. I also owned a Duke 10, but sold it because I found it just so darn uncomfortable to hold, with one or more of the J hooks always digging into my sternum. In contrast the Firefly Tenor is amazingly comfortable and lightweight. I did briefly see an Outdoor Ukulele banjo uke at a shop, and it sort of felt like a toy. And it was heavier than the Firefly (920 g for the Firefly, 1120 g for the OU). Mostly I wished they had gone with a smaller head on the Outdoor Uke, but I bet they went that big to get the volume up. (Regular Outdoor Ukes are notorious for not being very loud.) I will say the OU would be more worry free, and half the price if you just want to add another sound to your quiver.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I own the concert Firefly and it’s terrific. Plenty of volume if you want it. I use a handkerchief behind the bridge to dampen the volume if needed. Highly recommended.
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

Thread Information