Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenor Firefly vs Outdoor (replacing Maxitone Bruno leftie)

I'll very likely end up getting another - perhaps I can do the simpler concert Firefly. Question - do these Fireflys (concert or tenor) need the geared pegheads? My Flea is ok without but my Maxitone is hard to tune finely (might be the strings - i.e wound C string). I presume the non-tunable skin is not a big deal.

My Flea sort of felt like a toy also when I first got it with the plastic frets. I actually like it now and think it sounds decent. I'm hoping the polycarbonate is denser and feels/looks a bit less like that.

Quote Originally Posted by warx View Post
    I'll very likely end up getting another - perhaps I can do the simpler concert Firefly. Question - do these Fireflys (concert or tenor) need the geared pegheads? My Flea is ok without but my Maxitone is hard to tune finely (might be the strings - i.e wound C string). I presume the non-tunable skin is not a big deal.

My Flea sort of felt like a toy also when I first got it with the plastic frets. I actually like it now and think it sounds decent. I'm hoping the polycarbonate is denser and feels/looks a bit less like that.
    I ordered mine with the Pegheds, and am not impressed. They stick, and are hard to use - though I imagine they are better than the friction tuners that are stock.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

I replaced the stock friction tuners with Grover 6s. The silicone washer makes tuning much easier and more secure. $25 upgrade and you can do it in a few minutes. Mine also had the wood fretboard, which is a major step up from the plastic on many entry-level MFCs.
    The site truncates my signature so I can't tell you

Got my Outdoor banjolele today. I really like it! Quite a different sound to my Maxitone (mostly in good ways). Pretty loud played with index finger but when you play with the thumb it is deafening! (this is my first non soprano - so maybe that's a thing). Sound is very nice and you can pull off a range of harsh-ish banjo to warm deep tones. I wouldn't call it light - but still lighter than my all metal Maxitone. Quite comfy standing and sitting (sitting it's big enough to rest on your lap). Super looking (my kind of thing) and well set up. Nice tuners. Overall a happy camper.

Of course now I feel I need a concert-something to fill the gap between my Flea, maxitone and this... N=N+1. But; my next project building a portable Cajon (like the Cajontab) for accompanying on the camping trips...

Thread Information