String stuck inside string-through bridge

fretie

Reaction score
Today when I wanted to swap out the G string on my Klos ukulele, I found that the string was struck in the string-through bridge.

The string has been loosened from the headstock however it can not be fed down into the body through the bridge. It seems jammed right inside the wooden bridge itself.

Do you have any suggestions?

I use the pointy end of a safety pin, or wire to push down to release the knot. That's one reason that using beads is a good idea with string-thru bridges, they never get stuck like too-small knots can.

Yep, I use a very thin needle if mine ever get stuck. 100% agree about the beads. I didn't like using them at first, but now I do.

I use the pointy end of a safety pin, or wire to push down to release the knot. That's one reason that using beads is a good idea with string-thru bridges, they never get stuck like too-small knots can.

Yep, I use a very thin needle if mine ever get stuck. 100% agree about the beads. I didn't like using them at first, but now I do.

Thanks for these suggestions. I do use beads in the string-through bridges...and I have tried the needle...still jammed...

Not sure how useful it will be, but you might try a little graphite on each side. You can get it powdered, or take some sandpaper to a carpenter’s pencil to make a smal pile. Messy, but will come off easily. Then try the needle.

If you haven't cut the sting yet, you may want to. Pushing down on the flat end of the string seems best to me.

Last edited:
I've used a paperclip with success. If it has a square "sharp" edge you can get some 'bite' into the string, trying to push from above (rather than wiggling through to the bottom as with a pin.
Secondly, there are thicker sewing needles, thicker then a regular needle. If you sand off the point you may be able to get enough through to the knot.
Good luck... let us know what works.

Top Bottom