Recording with Audacity

plunker

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea if this is enough of a computer for recording on audacity
Intel I 3 processor 10110u cpu @ 2.10 ghz 2.59 ghz

RAM 8.0 gb 7.84 usable

64 bit operating
The recording bar stops every now and then when recording.

I'm not an expert, yet that's definitely a very low powered computer for the task. People in the business are definitely using the most powerful computers that they can get their hands on for running Audacity.

I can't answer your question directly but, heck, you can multi-track on an iPad with GargageBand, so audio recording isn't that demanding of a modern computer just as long you're not mixing more than 8 tracks or running a bunch of plugins. I ran 16 tracks on a 2012 Mac Mini (i7) many times with 2 or 3 plugins per track in Logic Pro and Digital Performer without problems. On the other hand, video editing, especially with several camera feeds, a few plugins and audio tracks can bog down even fast computers.

Those specs shouldn't be a problem, I've used much slower/lower specified machines with no issues, but they had direct audio inputs for a microphone.
If you're using a USB interface, therein may lie your problem. The only audio-in USB device I've tried was incredibly "laggy", I abandoned it and reverted to an older machine ;)
Also, if you're using a "modern" operating system eg. Windows 10, the "built-in" Defender anti-virus software can be very "aggressive" and really does affect performance when reading or writing a lot of data. You can configure Defender to ignore specific programs or file-types, if indeed you're using Windows 10, else look into the configuration of any anti-virus software you're using to see if it can be adjusted.

I have to wonder about just what circumstances you guys reckon an I3 machine with 8gig or ram, presumably running Windows 10 can handle a program like Audacity smoothly. The OP has already stated that it freezes up on him which is to be expected in my book. An I3 machine with 8gig would be flat out running a browser, and yes, if your serious then a usb interface is par for the course and totally within what you would expect that a machine could handle.

OK, I just had a look. Nominally you satisfy the minimum requirements, just, yet you wouldn't be able to handle many multi-tracks.
Clean the machine of any unwanted background software and don't have anything else open when trying to run Audacity.

I'm not an expert, yet that's definitely a very low powered computer for the task. People in the business are definitely using the most powerful computers that they can get their hands on for running Audacity.

No expert either.
I agree that it is a very low powered computer, but when people "In the business" make sure to use state of the art powerful computers - i doubt it is Audacity they are running. I have recorded a few things with Audacity, it is a rather simple software compared to DAWs, and has lower requirements.

The specs listed on RAM and Hz are twice those listed as requirements on the Audacity website. However, they recommend higher power. In theory a low power pc should should be able to run Audacity if there are not too many tracks or too long a file. But there are a lot of other things that could be wrong or uncompatible.

Getting a better PC would be advisable for recording purposes, but trying to clean it up and limit the tracks to a minimum might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom